Hello all, just thought I'd put in my opinion here. I've been a member of this forum for 8 months, and I think I've posted once
Among people today I see a pattern of seemingly contrasting characteristics: Smart people ("smart" defined as people with high IQ's and such) tend to do the stupid things that cause problems, while people with lesser logical powers tend to have it a bit easier. And before everyone jumps on me for this statement, let me just say that this is a generalization and does not apply to everyone. I said it's a tendency.
I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, and I have done some pretty stupid things in my life. I know someone who claims to have a high IQ (genius-level) who has done some REALLY stupid things (like drive drunk across a field in front of two cop cars outside a police station and then dricing the wrong way down a one-way road). On the contrast, I know some people who might be considered "simple" people, and they generally tend to be happier people, and see matters in a simpler light that more intelligent people might overcomplicate. Intelligent people have a tendency to read into things too much. Think of it as some people can think withing the box real well, but can't think outside of it, while some people are the opposite.
Simply put, smart people do dumb things sometimes, and dumb people can be prone to profound insights. Which brings us to the topic:
Sam is a simple creature, even by
hobbit standards. While
Frodo is definitely a more intelligent hobbit, his thoughts are on a higher level, and, as a result, he tends to overlook things that might be obvious from another perspective (such as
Gollum's two-faced nature), the reason probably being that he overanalyzes and tries to weigh everything fairly, whereas Samwise, who lacks the brainpower of his master, relies on handed-down lessons and common sense to make judgements. So, though he is not necessarily "knowledgeable" (four days after departing from
Rivendell, he expected to see Orodruin), he does have a healthy supply of common sense.
As far as his "cleverness", I would say that overall he is not very clever, but due to his good common sense and simple thought process, he does tend to see some things that others would not.
Oh yes, and one more thing:
Loyalty/obedience are traits which are manifest in some of the greatest heroes of M-E, such as
Beren or
Aragorn. In
Tolkien's view, love itself is based on obedience - it is another sign of christian morality influence.
IMO, this is backwards...obedience is based on love, not vice versa. The idea that love is based on obedience doesn't seem like love to me...and would pretty much make void the idea of "unconditional love". If it exists, it would have to have its roots in the creative force, ie,
God.
Well, that's my opinion. Hopefully I haven't made myself look like a rambling fool
-
Eruërthiel the Minstrel of Aman -