• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Aragorn introduction to Frodo

d4rk3lf

Active Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2022
Messages
843
This just sparks in my mind...

You know when Strider meet Hobbits in Bree? And he had to convince them to trust him, and they didn't, until they read Gandalf's letter.
Well, that's Ok.
But later, in Rivendell, we see that Aragorn knows Bilbo very well. They are friends. Bilbo made a poem about him.

Why didn't Aragorn just said to Frodo: "Bro. I know you. I know your uncle. It's Bilbo Bagins, right? Gandalf told me all about ring. I know Bilbo gave you the ring".

Sorry if this was mentioned in some other thread.

(mods, feel free to change title to be a better description of my question)
 
If Ent is not mistaken, Strider could also as easily have said "i know you're expecting to meet Gandalf here. He has told me of your journey, and I am here to help you on your way."

This too might have helped.

But perhaps handling it the way he did was a two-fold thing.
1. It was important the hobbits come to trust him implicitly for who he was, not based on knowing someone else, or what he said about himself.
2. It was important he get to know the hobbitts - who they really were, and why Gandalf had entrusted them with such a momumental thing.

Note he starts his association with them by pointing out Frodo isn't being very circumspect..!!! This alone should have told the hobbits much about him - and brought them to question what he knew and how...

Ent wonders if this is purposely set by Tolkien as a 'mutually feeling you out, testing you, evaluationg you' kind of moment, resulting ultimately in greater trust and mutual respect.

Trust Ent... if someone told him 'well I knew Saruman', Ent wouldn't think that a very high recommendation.
Or even saying 'I kow Bilbo and all about your quest' doesn't mean 'comradarie' - it could well mean "I'm here to thwart your plans."

Gandalf's letter was far more solidifying than any "I know Bilbo" or "Gandalf" could have been... and they'd already experienced some things together by the time Gandalf's letter 'sealed the trust' issue.
.
 
If Ent is not mistaken, Strider could also as easily have said "i know you're expecting to meet Gandalf here. He has told me of your journey, and I am here to help you on your way."
No, he couldn't.

I mean... he could.. but why they would trust them?
This info you're saying is just not enough for anyone to be safe.
Gandalf's letter was far more solidifying than any "I know Bilbo" or "Gandalf" could have been... and they'd already experienced some things together by the time Gandalf's letter 'sealed the trust' issue.
.
He could have said... you know, after I realized you are Bagins... I come to the conclusion... I know one more Bagins... Bilbo Bagins.
Do you know him?

(again, it's nothing important, and I don't consider it as a hole... just crossed my mind, and wanted to make sure what other's think).

Cheers and thank for insight my good old Ent.
 
'Why didn't you tell me that you were Gandalf's friend at once?' he asked. 'It would have saved time.'
'Would it? Would any of you have believed me till now?' said Strider. 'I knew nothing of this letter. For all I knew I had to persuade you to trust me without proofs, if I was to help you. In any case, I did not intend to tell you all about myself at once. I had to study you first, and make sure of you. The Enemy has set traps for me before now.'
 
Ah, @Squint-eyed Southerner thanks. Ent had forgotten these passages, though perhaps they had sunk somewhere deep into his heartwood.
But sadly, @Klaatu doesn't get this one for The Great Halls of Speculation now. Tolkien seems to have locked it up pretty well..!
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top