HLGStrider
All Knowing Magic Cat
- Joined
- Dec 17, 2001
- Messages
- 7,750
Can we talk to the animals?+
For starters I know the Warg's have their own language. I also know that elves can talk to horses and the eagles can talk... but what animals can and which can't in the Lord of the Rings.
In the second or maybe third chapter of the Fellowship, when they are heading across country there is an interlude where this little fox sees them and says something like "Hobbits, out of doors? What's the world coming to?"
So apparently foxes talk... However, there is never any mention of farmer Maggot's dogs talking and in the Sil it seemed to be taken for granted that the fact that Beren's hound friend could talk three times in his life was unusual.
So... which animals can talk and which can't? Can all animals talk but just not talk to humans and hobbits (and others not in a sort of Doolittle groove
)? Wouldn't you have qualms about eating a cow if it looked up at you and said "PLEASE!!! I'm so young. I'd never hurt a fly..." with all the other cows begging "No... no..." in the background.... and Baa-ram-ewe go the sheep...
There are a lot of interesting things to be explored here.
For starters I know the Warg's have their own language. I also know that elves can talk to horses and the eagles can talk... but what animals can and which can't in the Lord of the Rings.
In the second or maybe third chapter of the Fellowship, when they are heading across country there is an interlude where this little fox sees them and says something like "Hobbits, out of doors? What's the world coming to?"
So apparently foxes talk... However, there is never any mention of farmer Maggot's dogs talking and in the Sil it seemed to be taken for granted that the fact that Beren's hound friend could talk three times in his life was unusual.
So... which animals can talk and which can't? Can all animals talk but just not talk to humans and hobbits (and others not in a sort of Doolittle groove
There are a lot of interesting things to be explored here.
