• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Catholic Perspective on The Lord of the Rings

And extraordinary claims require exceptional evidence. My (well actually science's) take is that something is only true for the time being until new evidence creates the new true.🙂
As the ghosts of Ptolemy and Newton*** could attest when Copernicus and Einstein (respectively) came on the scene😁

***Newton still being useful for planes, trains, and automobiles, not to mention baseballs and footballs..... oh, and apples too😄

If you want the truth from the horse's mouth, you can do no better than to read his "Letters....", and I recommend you read it cover-to-cover.
 
Last edited:
A quick look in my newly purchased Reader's Companion suggests Tolkien himself misremembered some points but that it was not in essence a Christian myth (p264 in my copy).
 

Attachments

  • 20230125_232129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
@Deimos I got a copy of letters for my impending birthday.
You will find that even in his letters, JRRT occasionally left "unfinished tales". 😄
Some letters are drafts, and occasionally it's not clear if he actually sent this, or a revised version. I dimly remember one where he went on for two or three pages (in the book - perhaps more?), but ended up sending a very short one basically saying he didn't have time to answer. 😳
Humphrey Carpenter prefaces some letters with lengthy explanations. It's a fascinating read. 🙂
And JRRT does go into how his Catholicism influenced his writing.
 
...
As for sainthood, what two Tolkien miracles are claimed?
All very interesting though, thanks for posting 🙂
Oh, I can answer that with absolute certitude....
There were two LOTR Collectibles (swords) that were of limited issue and no one was parting with the relative few that were out there.
Well, I prayed that JRRT intercede for me, and it worked! 😲
I found both swords and bought each for a song (2 swords counts as two miracles because the sellers were two different people).
So there are the two miracles 😁. (But I have to wonder if Rome has heard about it yet...)

I do recall that one, now that you mention it😄
 
Last edited:
Looking forward to reading that book.
As above I am sure that any author's experiences and beliefs must certainly affect their content and style, and so it should 🙂
 
. I dimly remember one where he went on for two or three pages (in the book - perhaps more?), but ended up sending a very short one basically saying he didn't have time to answer. 😳
I think almost everyone must at some point have done the modern day equivalent of this. A three page rant email which is rapidly deleted letter by letter before being sent and replaced with just the words 'probably not' or similar 🤣
 
If Tolkien's story is a synonymous tale with the realities of catholicism, then what should the ring represent...? I see nobody brought this up.
The ring represents the papacy...
The ringwraiths represent the wicked and corrupted cardinals who are working for the enemy, in an attempt to bind the Pope for their true master...
For those who are familiar with catholic eschatology, the satanic force is always trying to get the papacy under its command. If they manage this, the whole church would fall. Tolkien is writing exactly what is happening in the church at the time that it's happening...
 
"If Tolkien's story is a synonymous tale with the realities of catholicism"...
Ummm, who said that? Certainly not Tolkien. Source(s) please.
 
"If Tolkien's story is a synonymous tale with the realities of catholicism"...
Ummm, who said that? Certainly not Tolkien. Source(s) please.

When youre a Catholic you just know that it has to be the ring. The ring is the power of the papacy with whom Jesus empowered St. Peter. A stolen papacy is like a stolen ring of power, that can then be used for evil..
Mordor is hell...
Sauron is satan...
Orcs are fallen angels...
Etc.

.
 
1) I am Roman Catholic (cradle Catholic actually), practicing.

I have taught RCIA (aka "convert classes") for 4 years using Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) which any informed Catholic knows is the official compendium of The Doctrines and Dogmas of the Catholic Church. ***
2) I don't agree with the equating of Mordor with Hell, Sauron as Satan, the Ring as representing anything other than, well, The One Ring, etc.
3) You are free to interpret any book, any story, poem, play by any author past or present, in any manner you prefer, but it remains a private interpretation.
4) Still would like to see your source for your stating that "Tolkien's story is a synonymous tale with the realities of catholicism". ****


*** I supplement the current CCC with The Catechism of the Council of Trent and Ludwig Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
****
If you are presenting that statement as your own personal opinion regarding the characters, objects, and events of LOTR, then have at it. 😉
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Deimos seriously this is one of the most informative responses I have seen on this forum. It's nice to see such a reasoned and dare I say scientific response. Bravo.
 

That would take me back to the topic I said I will not discuss...
Ok, Orcs are not synonymous with fallen angels (they were elves once), Mordor is not hell, the ring of power is not a papacy that ruled Europe in an unexplainable way for its entire history without any military force behind them, and Frodo is not Mirjana from Međugorje. Fine...
 
If Tolkien's story is a synonymous tale with the realities of catholicism, then what should the ring represent...?
Have you read Humphrey Carpenter's (originally) 1981 book "The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien"? JRRT does go into the relationship between his religious beliefs and how they influenced his writing of "The Lord of the Rings" in some of the letters published in this book.
Just to take up the point of "ring(s) representing": what would the other 19 then represent? The Three for the Elves, the Seven for the Dwarves, and the Nine for Men? 🤔
 

Well, I can't go that far into Tolkien's head and speak in his name. I'm not saying that everything in the book resembles something from Catholicism.
But for me, Frodo is a truly prophetic character. There are persons in reality who have this great task, and a great burden on their shoulders, and the power of darkness is actually besieging them as it did with Frodo. For example, Saint Faustina Kowalska suffered from spiritual darkness, that was the price she had to pay for revealing to humanity the greatness of God's mercy. Or Mirjana from Međugorje who has to carry ten secrets that will be revealed to humanity. She suffers these attacks of evil, and in this way reminds me of Frodo, who always had an "eye" lurking over him on his journey. And you can hear the Mordor language in the background coming from possessed, who become irritated after the Virgin Mary appears. The fact that they have their own language is also inspired by Tolkien's faith...



And also "Gandalf the white"...
We can see here in Međugorje that we have a deceased pope "JPII. the white" appearing in the crowd during apparitions...

 
Last edited:
Yes.... and the operative word here is "Influenced".
Being Catholic, I saw that influence immediately on my first reading of LOTR, long before I read the Letters where he openly mentions it.
But "influenced" (as I assume you are saying) is not synonymous with "represents" (or have I misread you?)
 
But "influenced" (as I assume you are saying) is not synonymous with "represents" (or have I misread you?)
Correct. JRRT's middle-earth was also influenced by his professional area of expertise: Beowulf, the Norse (mainly Icelandic) Eddas and Sagas, some parts of the Arthurian legendarium, ... more personally by his fascination with the Finnish Kalevala, very likely Celtic influences of both Welsh and Irish origin, and even the odd bit of 20th century literature. He might have had very limited sympathy, if at all, for the Venerable Bede's (7th/8th century) contemptuous snort "What has Ingeld to do with Christ?", which could have led to the destruction of several stories similar to the practically sole survivor, Beowulf.
And as I've posted before, even JRRT himself may have made the error of considering some trains of thought, of ethics, morals ... to be exclusively Roman Catholic. Seriously wrong as far as other Christian denominations are concerned, wrong to various degrees about the other two "Abrahamic" beliefs go, and even wrong for some non-"Abrahamic" belief systems. Here I mean what the respective theologians have worked out, not what the mass of the respective believers actually practice; that can have surprisingly little overlap.
 
I've given that observation no little consideration (and you aren't the first to posit it); to wit, why would JRRT limit his statement to just Roman Catholicsim to influencing his writing? Why not (as CS Lewis does in his works ) say that Christianity (or Christian Doctrine ) influenced his writing?

I've come up with a few answers that I think are plausible, but I have no way of verifying them (except that I know Catholic doctrine pretty well inside out).

1) This one I think is the most plausible: That JRRT being both very intelligent and , very well read (especially in western civ history and lit) knew that there are fundamental theological differences between Roman Catholic doctrines and Protestant Doctrines, most especially concerning fallen human nature and redemption. To be sure, there are differences among Protestant religions as well, most specifically regarding those two doctrines.
Calvinism (AKA today Presbyterianism) teaches something wholly different about sin (fallen human nature) than does RC and Lutheranism and Anglicanism.
Anglican doctrine** is the closest to RC teaching (nigh on identical), but Lutheran doctrine is a little different, lying somewhere between Calvinist doctrine and RC doctrine.

**If JRRT hadn't been Catholic I would put all my money on his having been Anglican

2) Having been raised in the RC church in the early 20th C. he may have learned that all Protestant religions deviated from Catholic teaching;
i,e, "got it wrong"
To be a Christian was synonymous with being a Catholic. To be anything else was at best to be "in error", at worst, to be a heretic.
If that is what he believed it is understandable that he would say his work is fundamentally a Catholic story; he was saying that his work was fundamentally Christian (Christian =Catholic, Catholic=Christian). But he also would know, as his priest/guardian/mentor would have undoubtedly taught him, that all those other religions, though not completely 100% Christian do get some it right (Doctrine of Trinity, Genesis, Escahtology etc). yet there are fundamental errors. He certainly would know that there is the Catholic Bible and the Protestant Bible (Catholic one containing seven more books in the NT than the Protestant one).

So (1) and (2) are closely related differing only in that in (1) he intellectually acknowledges the the differences between RC doctrine and Protestant doctrine, and (2) he does kind of knee-jerk rejection of Protestant doctrine.
I think (1) is more like to have been what he was thinking.

3) As to his view of the contributions by the non-christian religions; e.g., Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Confuscianism etc., I can only speculate. JRRT was a kind man, a good man. I would bet he recognized some good in Islam and all "pagan" religions. He could see, much as his friend CS Lewis saw, that all religions have some form of the Tao in their moral codes (Tao= Golden Rule). But many of the doctrines of Islam , not to mention those of the other religions, are anithetical to Christianity, or especially to RC. So there would have been no reason (imo) for him to have acknowleged their influence or contribution.
 
Last edited:
But many of the doctrines of Islam , not to mention those of the other religions, are anithetical to Christianity, or especially to RC. So there would have been no reason (imo) for him to have acknowleged their influence or contribution.
No question that there are doctrinal differences between denominations. Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman (Curial) Catholicism, Protestantism with their sub-groups (all of which, btw, would probably have bee considered heretical by the original followers of Jesus centered around the Twelve Apostles); Sunna and Shia (and sub-groups) in Islam; Theravada, Mahayana, Tibetan (and sub-groups) in Buddhism; and never mind the variations in Hinduism.

I do not doubt, as you pointed out, that JRRT was convinced, probably rightly so, that his writing was consistent with Roman Catholic doctrine of his time (the Second Vatican Council was still about seven years in the future when RoTK was published), other Christian denominations, and never mind non-Christian beliefs, having no influence. Where I think he erred, if he assumed parts of that doctrine to be exclusively RC (I don't know that or where he ever stated this so explicitly), is in this exclusivity. You mentioned Anglicanism; I've read a description of High Anglicanism being basically RC, just without the pope; perhaps so. I am assuming that the implication of exclusivity derives from his use of the word "fundamentally" in Letter #142 dated 02 December 1953 to Father Robert Murray, S.J., who had read parts of LoTR before its publication. Religions, like their secular counterparts political parties, compete with each other, and both need to emphasize the differences to their competitors in striving to gain followers, declare these differences to be fundamental and exclusive to their own specific "party"; and it goes almost without saying that each "party" considers their difference to be good.

I just thought of the one scene in LoTR which comes closest (on the good side) to a religious ritual: chapter V "The Window on the West" in Book Four in TT:

"Before they ate, Faramir and all his men turned and faced west in a moment of silence. Faramir signed to Frodo and Sam that they should do likewise.
'So we always do,' he said, as they sat down, 'we look towards Númenor that was, and beyond to Elvenhome that is, and to that which is beyond Elvenhome and will ever be. Have you no such custom at meat?'"

Would you say that this scene contains anything exclusive to Roman Catholic belief, absent from or even contradicting beliefs of other Christian denominations?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…