• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Celeborn's farewell


I can't back this up right now, but I have always thought kinship was passed down through the father's side, which would make Turgon, Idril, Tuor (because I do remember a quote from the Sim saying something to the effect that Tuor was counted among the Noldor) and Earendil as Noldor. That makes Elrond as the son of Earendil a Noldor.

Some of you seem to equate Valinor with Aman, which I do not. Valinor was a region within Aman where the Valar dwelt. Tol Eressea was part of Aman but not Valinor. Unless somebody can prove me mistaken?
 

I was addressing issues about the Ban, not about Valinor.

About where they could or would dwell:
"And when they came into the West the Gnomes for the most part rehabited the Lonely Isle, that looks both West and East; and that land became very fair, and so remains. But some
returned even to Valinor, as all were free to do who willed; and
there the Gnomes were admitted again to the love of Manwe and
the pardon of the Valar; and the Teleri forgave their ancient grief, and the curse was laid to rest. "
HoME 5, pg 332.

"And when they came into the West the Elves of Beleriand dwelt upon Tol Eressëa, the Lonely Isle, that looks both west and east; whence they might come even to Valinor. They were admitted again to the love of Manwë and the pardon of the Valar; and the Teleri forgave their ancient grief, and the curse was laid to rest."
The Silmarillion
 
Ah...that's the quote I was looking for! Thanks Tar-Elenion So in summary, the Noldor could have gone to Valinor if they chose, but most remained in Tol Eressea.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…