• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Tom Bombadil Personify Pacifism?

Mimzy

New Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
58
Tolkien wasn't a pacifist as far as I know, I'm pretty sure he believed in 'just war' to some extent, though he definitely wasn't the 'rah rah' militaristic type either, and was opposed to total war even in the case of the Nazis.

But do you think he nonetheless, had some admiration for the pacifist spirit? I personally think yes, Tom Bombadil in my opinion is in the book because his character makes a statement on pacifism. Tolkien said that without the military victory of the West, Bombadil would have nothing, but I think by including him in the book he was saying how he did admire that starry eyed people existed.
 
I think the books in general have a sense of wistfulness about Pacifism -- I think Tolkien wished it could work, but was sort of sadly resigned to the reality that ultimately it won't if pressed by raw aggression. Bombadil is a prime example -- as are the Hobbits in general and how easily they are duped into allowing a defeated Sauraman to defile the Shire. It would be awesome if just loving beer and weed could carry the day, but it can't.

The Hobbit is a love letter to Pacifism -- it's the only book in its genre I can think of where the hero wins the day by NOT fighting.
 
But someone had to fight to make Bilbo's actions count. For instance, him discovering Smaug's weakness would have meant nothing if Bard hadn't taken action and killed him.
 
Tolkien wasn't a pacifist as far as I know, I'm pretty sure he believed in 'just war' to some extent, though he definitely wasn't the 'rah rah' militaristic type either, and was opposed to total war even in the case of the Nazis.

But do you think he nonetheless, had some admiration for the pacifist spirit? I personally think yes, Tom Bombadil in my opinion is in the book because his character makes a statement on pacifism. Tolkien said that without the military victory of the West, Bombadil would have nothing, but I think by including him in the book he was saying how he did admire that starry eyed people existed.
Faramir was a wonderful showing of a pacifist who was forced to fight to preserve the land and people he loved.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top