• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧝Elves and men fear

Ricardo

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2025
Messages
345
I mean of course the spirit, not fear as scared :).

I was reading one of NOME essays about a conversation between Manwe and Iluvatar, where Manwe asks if the Valar have the authority and the capability to re-embody elves's fear.
in fact, it starts with Manwe asking about re-embodiment because the Valar at that point realize that many elves's bodies have died and that's against their nature.

Iluvatar responds that there are 2 ways elves can comeback to life, one is from re-embodiment, for which the Valar have both the authority and the ability to do it.

The other way is being reborn, here the Valar do have the authority, but not the ability and those cases need to be submitted to Iluvatar himself.

But it's mentioned that the fear of the children of Iluvatar have an imprint of their bodies, that the Valar can use to rebuild that body.

Two things to mention, one that it seems the process is kind of a craft process, where the Valar use the substance of Arda to recreate the body. It's incredibly complex but the Valar have the ability to do it. If I have to guess, I would suppose that's Aule's job.

But what more caught my attention is that it says the "children of Iluvatar", not the elves that have an imprint. The children of Iluvatar are both elves and men so it seems to imply that men's fear also have that imprint.
That could mean that the Valar, not Iluvatar rebuilt Beren's body (although Iluvatar would have to allow his fea to remain in Arda).

Also, in the case of Earendil, Elwing and Elrond (and perhaps Tuor), they would already have that imprint meaning if they died they could be re-embodied as any other elf.
 
Two things to mention, one that it seems the process is kind of a craft process, where the Valar use the substance of Arda to recreate the body. It's incredibly complex but the Valar have the ability to do it. If I have to guess, I would suppose that's Aule's job.

In Text 2, in the chapter Reincarnation of Elves (in The Nature of Middle-Earth), Tolkien asks himself the question: ". . . which of them would do this (or all)?" And later in the same text, he simply writes: "The Valar have power to re-build bodies for the Elves."

I don't know if I'd necessarily press Tolkien on this being his final "answer" to that question, but in any case, notice what JRRT put in italics here: "for the Elves".

In the late text Glorfindel II, Tolkien again notes that it was the duty of the Valar to restore the Elves to incarnate life — and with respect to Glorfindel at least, he writes: "and Manwe restored him".

Interpret as you like :)

That could mean that the Valar, not Iluvatar rebuilt Beren's body (although Iluvatar would have to allow his fea to remain in Arda).

In addition to the line above from Text 2, the first text in XV "Elvish reincarnation" (text IA) states: "Therefore, it is only the Elves that the Valar can, under the authority of Eru, "re-house". For it is their nature not to end in Arda. Those whose nature it is to end within Arda, that is to die naturally, they cannot and do not re-house, as is seen in the case of Men."

🐾
 
In Text 2, in the chapter Reincarnation of Elves (in The Nature of Middle-Earth), Tolkien asks himself the question: ". . . which of them would do this (or all)?" And later in the same text, he simply writes: "The Valar have power to re-build bodies for the Elves."

I don't know if I'd necessarily press Tolkien on this being his final "answer" to that question, but in any case, notice what JRRT put in italics here: "for the Elves".

In the late text Glorfindel II, Tolkien again notes that it was the duty of the Valar to restore the Elves to incarnate life — and with respect to Glorfindel at least, he writes: "and Manwe restored him".

Interpret as you like :)
you remember better than I do :)

In addition to the line above from Text 2, the first text in XV "Elvish reincarnation" (text IA) states: "Therefore, it is only the Elves that the Valar can, under the authority of Eru, "re-house". For it is their nature not to end in Arda. Those whose nature it is to end within Arda, that is to die naturally, they cannot and do not re-house, as is seen in the case of Men."

🐾

I agree that because reembodying men wasn't natural, the Valar would need authorization from Iluvatar, and in fact it happened, Manwe consulting Iluvatar and I believe the choices came from him.

But once decided it was ok to go on, I think the Valar did have the ability to recreate Beren's body.
 

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top