• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Favourite 🧝elven kindred

Which of the elven kindreds is your favourite?

  • The Vanyar

    Votes: 10 16.7%
  • The Noldor

    Votes: 29 48.3%
  • The Teleri

    Votes: 21 35.0%

  • Total voters
    60
Well,how can be they the greatest kindred when they do nothing.They just live protected from the Valar.The Vanyar weren't obliged too to take part in The War of Wrath ,but they took part in it.While the Teleri just live without carrying about men's suffer.Even some elves from their kindred were in ME,did Teleri help them?No.
To be the greatest you should do many things,not just to live in peace without any care for everyone,but that's just my opinion.
 
They can be the greatest kind when they do nothing. What did the Noldor do? The Teleri were slain in Alqalondë by the Noldor. Is it great deed to kill creatures akin to you? I think it is not. Is it a great deed to kill other Noldor? We know that Noldor killed Noldor. Shame!
The Teleri also killed Elves though they did it to protect themselves, of course. However, the Vanyar haven't killed creatures akin to them. They're fair. They don't have blood on their arms. They're my favourite .
 
I did not really think the subjekt trough before I voted. And I dont remember the differenses between the kindred, but first I voted Noldors since I like science and I seem to remember that they sought knowledge more than the other. But. Then I started reading the thread and "Ithrynluin's" thread of why he choose the Teleri. I now want to take back my vote and vote fore the Teleri if they are like Ithrynluin describes. I have always "dwellt" near the sea, I'm a former sailor and I'm currently taking my master degree in ship engineering! I have also sworn that I shall always have the sea in sight from my house!
 
WOW...reading this thread almost three years later....

It made me feel like I miss so much the old times here.


And still nothing has changed concerning my opinion that the Noldors are the greatest kindred....
Of course they have their sins,but still they were directly or indirectly responsible for so many great things in ME and Valinor..... .

Ihty,I am still ready to argue with you about this topic.....even three years later
 
The Teleri.

They were the first to see the beauty in Middle-earth and the last to leave. Even when persuaded to leave Cuivienen they wanted to remain in M-e and make it their home. The Noldor wanted to have what they thought was a better life elsewhere and when that was not what they expected they returned to M-e and, had it not been for Melkor, would have carved out kingdoms regardless of who was living in M-e.
 
The Noldor.

Their acomplishments far outweigh their shortcomings (notwithstanding the Kinslaying, in which not all Noldor took part). The Holy Jewels, the realms in Beleriand, Nargothrond and Gondolin. Fingolfin himself, the only Elda to actually wound Morgoth. Galadriel, while a half-Teleri she is considered to be a Noldo, is probably the most powerful female Elf in the entire saga.

The Vanyar are in total bliss, all the time, so they have little to challenge them, spurring them on to great deeds. The Teleri are waverers and fearful, far to absorbed their pastoral lives.

The Sindar, OTOH, are in my opinion a close second to the Noldor, though like their Telerin cousins, prefer to be left alone. Some like Beleg were great heros in their own right, others were no less important for their part, such as Eol. Celeborn was a noble Sindarin Lord. Then there's great King Thingol himself, though not exactly a Sinda. His descendants were also important Sindar: Luthien and Dior, Elwing.
 
The Vanyar for me.
The fiest time I read the Silm the Nolodor were my favourite race, but by now it has changed. I like the Vanyar because I just find my personality in them, I've always thought of them as wise loremasters, and of a more quiet and relaxed nature.
 
Looking back...the results are pretty damn surprising. I thought the Noldor would have won an overwhelming majority, but instead they are tied with the Teleri. And the Vanyar having as many votes as they do? I thought they would maybe get an odd pity vote for someone but that's it. Interesting how it turned out and glad that it did so!
 
I've just got to go for those shipbuilders! "The third and greatest of the three Elf-kindreds of the Great Journey, from whom the Nandor and the Sindar were descended. The Teleri came last to Aman, and dwelt in Alqualondë on the western shores of the Great Sea." (The Encylopedia of Arda).
 
The Vanyar - to take the straight and high road, at considerable cost, is all too often underestimated.

The Vanyar are little told of, yet to be sundered from their kindred to dwell in isolation so long, yet to aid in lifting the yolk of evil they had no hand in bringing to fruit, speaks loudly of their strength and merits.
 
Vanyar: too "right". They never disobeyed the Valar, they were their favorite kindred. They remind me of the "good students" at school. I would never identify with them. They had no adventurous spirit at all.

I think that the Vanyar are the ones I identify with the most, but I don't necessarily like reading about them the most.
 
im casting my vote for the noldor. Though they often went astray, they were the ones who ended up doing most of the deeds of fame. Nevertheless the vanyar anre pretty cool as well, as they managed to stay in the favour of the valar throughout the whole book, but they also aided in morgoths downfall
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…