• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Movies 🎃

Yep... I've seen him in at least one non horror movie, a noir, where he played it (a secondary role, not the lead) absolutely straight.
A very polished actor.
I actually was at a conference a few years ago and his daughter Victoria was there. She was extremely interesting to hear stories a our him and his home life. Just made me appreciate him even more.
 
Bram Stoker's Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman and, w/o checking, I think Coppola directed. It is also the one imo most faithful to the book )
Also if you're a fan of Dracula (the book), this blog sends an email with an excerpt from it in real-time as the events unfold:

 
Bram Stoker's Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman and, w/o checking, I think Coppola directed. It is also the one imo most faithful to the book )
I agree it's the closest to the book. But the film is a joke due to the leads' appalling accents.

I quite like the BBC mini-series from a couple of years ago, an interesting take on the story from Gatiss & Moffatt. Claes Bang was perfect in the title role: the epitome of the suave, urbane vampire.

 
Doesn't it also appear in one of the early scenes of the first death? I see I need to watch it again. 🙂

Val Lewton was much more in sync with Jacques Tourneur, when making the great low-key RKO horrors in the 40s; I mentioned them on Page 1 of this thread -- and probably in the previous Halloween thread.
 
Did you ever get the impression that Vincent Price was hamming it up, just a bit?
He did the horror movies mostly to fund his art collection. He was certainly aware of the campy nature of William Castle's, and to an extent, Roger Cornan's films, so was usually winking at the audience. When he respected the material, as in Corman's last Poe film, "The Tomb of Ligeia", he could play it straight. As a matter of fact, I recently watched "The Tingler", and he didn't seem to be hamming it up so much there, which is surprising. Of course, he may not have been aware that Castle was going to be going around putting electric shockers in the theater seats. 😄

"Ligeia" and "Troll Hunter" were up for free on YouTube, but I see both have been taken down, unfortunately. But there's still a lot of good stuff available; last night I watched this atmospheric psychological Hammer thriller from 1964:
 
If it's Hammer, why does it have that Universal logo at the beginning? because I see the Hammer logo after that too. Or is that a different Universal than the one I know?

I love Hammer movies as well

 
On a related subject, the familiar prints of several of the earliest Universal horror films were taken from re-release prints of the late 30s or 40s, and appear to have been clipped. "The Mummy" ends abruptly, and I always had the impression the original ending had been clipped off. I've never seen a reference to it, though, so I could be wrong there.
 
I think you're right... and it was at the death of Cyril Cusack's character.
Still, (now recalling it) it somehow didn't bother me when I saw it, and that was before I knew it was forced inclusion.
I was so taken up with the suspense and mood of the film (thus far) that the presence of demon was just an unnecessary and easily ignored sideshow.
Remember the windstorm at the party? That was so well done, almost terrifying .... just a windstorm, and yet , and yet....
 
Last edited:
Love it! I definitely haven't seen them all but I've watched a lot of the original episodes
MeTV is running a Twilight Zone marathon tomorrow from Noon to 6PM EDT, if you're interested.

Plus, tonight's Svengoolie features a movie I mentioned above, The Tingler.
 
I have the entire set of TZ episodes, that Ginormous thing with 5 "volumes" and each volume has 5 or 6 DVDs.
But to be brutally honest, not all of the episodes were very good, much less great. I'd say maybe a quarter of them were really, really good.
Some of the great ones were written by Serling himself, others were written by established SF/ fantasy writers.
 
I've heard good things about House and House II: The Second Story. Can't personally vouch for either, though.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…