• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How to make a Boromir horn for cosplay?

Idril Celebrindal

Exile of Gondolin
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
666
Me, @Elwing the White and 7 other people are cosplaying as The Fellowship for a mini Comic Con near us. One of my friends who is cosplaying as Boromir was wondering how to make a Boromir horn. We searched the internet, but all of the options are really complicated (we're not serious cosplayers, most of our costumes are handmade.) and would take to long. Does anybody have any idea how to make a simple Boromir horn? I considered papermache, but I can't think of how to make it stay in the correct shape while it dries.
 
I am not into building stuff like this myself, but it's interesting question.

Maybe try to find a stick that is bended like horn. Then you can take some ropes (or make ropes from old cloths) and roll out around the stick, trying to achieve approximate radius of the horn. Thickest on the bottom, thin at the very top.
You can then take some clay, and try to nicely wrap it all around, trying to be as smooth as possible.
Finally you can wrap 2 parts with aluminum foil (maybe try to paint it bronze color somehow)

Warning... the above is just a theory... never tried... :)

uc3455-horn-of-gondor.jpg
 
The simplest and cheapest thing I can thing of would be to acquire a cow horn and tat it up to your taste. If you can't find any in your area, they're available online, often for $10 or less.
This is probably the best idea

If its simply for costume decorative purposes and you don't plan on blowing it for sound, a Viking drinking horn would suffice.
I've seen them used for Boromir outfits, and the basic ones aren't really that expensive. This one is $20 USD.
I've seen these up close at Ren Faires. They are really very small.
(Maybe if he went as "Baby Boromir" this would work....😉)
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top