• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Is Tom Bombadill someone who'd get annoying?

Is Tom Bombadill someone who'd get annoying?

  • Yes

    Votes: 48 58.5%
  • No

    Votes: 26 31.7%
  • I couldn't tell you

    Votes: 8 9.8%

  • Total voters
    82
It didn't make a lot of sense, but I think it was a nice interlude. Sort of like in the Hobbit when the stop at Beorn's. He helps them and they move on.
 
I loved the chapters on Tom B. in the books, but I wouldn't want to live with him! Not only is he always singing nonsense, but he's sort of mysterious about things. He's be fun to have as a friend to visit (and definitely to bail me out if I get caught by a barrow wight).
 
I think he is a bit annoying. I don't hate the chapters he's in, but I don't find them all that interesting either. All they do is eat, sleep and talk and then eat, sleep and talk some more. Tom Bobadill, although a merry old fellow, is in my opinion the least important character in the books.
 
I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Ol' Tom. He's definitely like one of those cheery people that are happy all the time, and sometimes you just want them to shut up and leave you in peace (my flatmate is a very chirpy person, so I know a little about this! ). He would definitely start to annoy me after about 3 seconds!
 
Tommy B could get really annoying. I mean think about it. Constantly singing. He just wakes up in the morning and sings, and sings.................................. .and sings some more!!!!!I seriously couldn't live with that
 
I really can't stand when someone is very cheery all the time. And I realize that some of you that know me would think that I am very hypocritical (if its not a word already, it is now) cuz I am very hyper person, but you know I do get depressed sometimes........especially lately......
 
I don't really know. Just imagine if you were to go all the way to mordor with Tom Bombadil sining in your ear!!! Oh my word that would be ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then again, the world needs something interesting in this world
 
The insertion of Tom B. is a marvelous means of demonstrating to the reader and the Hobbits that there is a long history and there are powers in Middle-earth that are beyond their wildest imaginings. One is left with the impression that Tom is indeed greatly powerfull and that he commands tremendous respect, no matter how silly he seems, and the fact that the ring has no effect upon him...that he possesses such authority and strength and then at the Council of Elrond it is stated that he would STILL be no match for Sauron's forces none the less is the first glimpse of just how powerfull Sauron himself is...
 
No matter how annoying Tom would be in person, I sort of liked the interlude... It's a lot better than those apparently non related parts of other books... The turtle crawling across the road chapter in "Grapes of Wrath".... Long descriptions of Arcitecture in "The Hunch Back of Notre Dame"... You get my drift..... BORING!!!
 
I dont know. It would prbably get very annoying after a while, it would be like trying to go to Florida with a person in back of you Humming, whistling, and singing at the top of his lungs. But on the other hand he would help you out with tons of things you get into trouble. But it would be kind of fun and it would be more uprising of your spirit in the times when you are scared. Like a Hobbit.
 
i think bombadil is a cool cat but he definitely would get annoying singing his songs... maybe if he varied his tunage a little bit i wouldn't get annoyed
 
Yes... this thread has resurfaced... I think that singing could be frustrating at times..
 
Oh wow. I agree w/ u Readwryt. The chapters on him weren't a waste; they were meant 2 show the different types of people who lived in middle earth. And I'm sure that after all that they'd been through, the hobbits were happy 2 meet someone who was optimistic & encouraging. Tom wasn't useless. He helped Frodo & Co. get out of the Old Forrest & saved them from the Barrow Wights.
 
Bombadil is an amazing character, never the less listening to his jibberish for a while would be like being trapped in a car on a family vacation and being forced to sing 'the wheels on the bus go round and round' for the whole time.

PS: This has never happened to me and if it has happened to you I feel extremely sorry for you.
 
Actually, in my family, I was usually the one singing and it was our own versions of songs... You know... 'Why do vultures suddenly appear, everytime you are near..."
 
I voted no...since I'm sometimes like that, singing all the time when I listen to music...I probably could take that, I'm not so sure of others...
You know, I had completely forgotten Tom Bombadillo until I read about him again just now.
The question burning in my mind is the WHO HE REALLY IS? He's older than Sauron and many others and master of the Old Forest...maybe Tolkien had some subconscious idea of who he presented...but he didn't want to make direct allegory...
 
thank God he want in the movie! They would end up being 10 hours long
 
good and bad, nice to have someone around who truly enjoys life and can pick you up sometimes. also when its monday morning your late for work and you have a migraine and ten hours of work ahead of you and toms in your your face singing about happy farts coming out of his rear its time to put the midget in the closet for jussssssssssssssst a liitle while.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…