Indeed. This is precisely why I say it's there, but we read over it without making the connection as to how it applies.I'm really waiting for this revelation!
Unlike Galadriel (and Celeborn), JRRT never tried to squash TB back into the Sil. He was writing (sort of) the Silmarillion, not the Sillymarillion.
And I'm extremely skeptical of any attempts by later writers to interpret (much) older writings as premonitions or even prophesy of what these later writers describe ...
Well, perhaps when I'm done with my study and have posted what I see, you'll be moved at that point to share some of the rarified heights to which you've attained in understanding him in all his glory.how sad, how dreary.... so many folks just don't see it...
Well then. Given we must wallow in our murky waters without the enlightenment with potential to clarify our cloudy vision, here's my plan.And that is about as far from my "rarefied heights"🙄 I will deign to descend; you mere mortals 😉 need to step up your game.
The guests became suddenly aware that they were singing merrily, as if it was easier and more natural than talking.
This IS interesting, is it not? It being the very thing Eru labored and waited so patiently for the Ainur and Maiar to learn how to do together, before he brought to them his Themes to adorn (through song) for creation?
I was a wondering if anyone else had noticed this; to wit, that Tom, when not actually singing still spoke in an unrhymed, but stressed verse....
Beyond the parts clearly marked as "song", through the use of italics and rhythm, his speech could easily be cast as verse:
'Old Grey Willow-man,
he's a mighty singer;
and it's hard for little folk to
escape his cunning mazes.
But Tom had an errand there,
that he dared not hinder.'
The effect of this is to provoke an almost involuntary response, as when you find yourself tapping your toe to music, or more, unable to resist the urge to get up and dance. The hobbits were clearly affected in this way:
....
Or, a part of the 3rd theme, and those things within it which were made without their knowledge..! "More at 11".Might Tom's singing have actually been a part of the Music of the Ainur?
Could be...except we only know Eru made Tom at some point; we don't know when that was... pre-Ainulindalë? post-Ainulindalë?Hm. Might Tom's singing have actually been a part of the Music of the Ainur? 🤔
Does anyone have a copy of this available?Until that unpublished (1964) letter to Prof. Przemysław Mroczkowski turned up, we always thought he was part of Eä ; but he isn't.
Indeed. I will explain the reasoning for my own particular 'speculation' (perspective) soon.Fun to do... but we end the way we begin: in ignorance.
Thank you.
An interesting read. Thanks again.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?