how sad, how dreary.... so many folks just don't see it...
Well, perhaps when I'm done with my study and have posted what I see, you'll be moved at that point to share some of the rarified heights to which you've attained in understanding him in all his glory.
His origin has been clear to me for some time, and his purpose for being created is obvious. His power is clear, and its source clean. The manner of his handling his domain - that is, his 'sphere of influence' - is also representative of
Tolkien's basic foundations and preferences, both in faith and government, which is one of the several 'comments' or 'representations' Tolkien intended with him.
As to the rest, I'm still working on the details.
To step back from my initial comment about his lack of involvement in the needs of
Middle-earth at the time of its greatest need, requires a certain depth of theological understanding, and the 'statement' Tolkien intended in that arena. It's a matter again of Faith and Purpose of Creation.
I'm beginning to see now, as Tolkien wove his character into the story, he wove
Bombadil in precisely as he wanted to, to reveal the things Tolkien wanted to reveal.
As
Gandalf faithfully fulfilled the roles he was sent to fulfill, so did Bombadil.
I was wrong (hasty?) to suggest he should have done more. He certainly COULD have. Much more. Yet it simply was not what he was created and called to do.
I await some explanation from your side, once my summary is presented more fully and with explanation, regarding what you see so many others miss.
We certainly don't want to be a source of dreariness and sadness to you.
"More at 11"