• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🪦 James Earl Jones

Rest In Peace
One of my favorites. A stutterer early in his life, one of his teachers noted he did not stutter when reading. Working with him using reading as a platform took him further forward, and eventually into stage and screen. One 'reply' to an article posted about his death errantly says 'he took up acting because he stuttered.' This isn't entirely accurate. But acting was one outlet where he was able to deliver without stuttering (early on) as he was able to work from a script and memorization.

There were parts of his book James Earl Jones: Voices and Silences I was a little sorry to read coming from him... but his early life was a bit of a battle.

I will miss him. With his passing, I once again feel a certain loss... again as though we're losing 'the last of the great ones' bit by bit.
 
Loved him in 'Field of Dreams'
Same. My wife hadn't ever seen the movie, so I subjected her to watching it with me in his honor this past weekend. Somehow she had never actually seen a picture of James Earl Jones (though she knew of his iconic voice as Darth Vader) and was totally shocked that he wasn't a tall white dude like the guy in the Vader costume!

Anyway, I forgot how much I liked that movie and his performance in it. He lived a full life, and will be missed.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top