So
@Tyelkormo the Fair, have you heard all you care to hear on the original post issues on this one, or is it still open to further commenting?
Lots of good stuff has been shared already, and it has opened a more in-depth study for me on both Maeglin and Snape.
In
the one case, (Maeglin), we have an entire lifespan presented us, with some - shall I say - more 'general' or high level presentation in view, bringing us mainly into the arena of deductive reasoning (though some inductive reasoning can be applied here and there as well.)
In the other, (Snape), we have a great view of a very short time span - a few short years - with but little of a 'larger picture' meaning we need to take a more inductive approach with only some small amount of deduction available to be done.
Both
Tolkien and Rawling have presented rather interesting characters here.
Presently, I see more contrast than comparison between the two, but I've a long way to go. And, you've specifically brought in a comment narrowing the perspective to a posture taken by "Gen Z", which further complicates the issue, and requires some careful evaluation for a much, much older generation such as myself.
Of course, Maeglin was always an inward-focused and long-range determined person, seeking rule, power and control from the beginning, and devoted himself in any and every way necessary to try to get there.. in the end, becoming bitter, unable to overcome his defects.
Snape on the other hand appears to me so far to be a classic representation of arrested development, which is what made him, from the very first time we meet him, be so mean to 11-year old children in the classrooms, demeaning and degrading them intentionally, and constantly exercising prejudicial and preferential treatment of his 'pets' on an ongoing basis - actually, the real 'leader' of the Malfoy and his group types - Snape apparently without overall goals and objectives, more or less 'going with the flow' along the way, but with a kernal within him ultimately bringng him to making a better decision in the end. (I believe it was the grace of Dumbledore enabling him to ultimately do so, but I need to flesh that out a bit.)
But there's so much more to both characters than this...
Anyway, if the thread is still open to further input, when I'm done with this I'd like to post some stuff for chewing on, more directly related to your original post, and to your later added 'intent' for what you were working to get at.