• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Mallorn Leaf - Ivy or Beech shape?

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
3,168
Why did the film have the mallorn leaf brooch on the Lothlorien cloaks shaped like common ivy, when it should have been like a beech leaf? That ivy leaf brooch looked really uncomfortable with the point sticking up into the wearer's neck.

Here are a couple I picked and scanned. They're quite different.
 
Last edited:
Did Tolkien describe it as a beech leaf? If he did, it should have been shaped like one, but personally I like the Ivy shape much better...
 
The only info I remember about Mallorn leaves is that they were used as lembas' wrappings. Is there any description of their shape?
 
I can't even find a description of the brooches that were on their cloaks. (Of course, that could be because I've only checked the part where they're leaving Lothlorien.) :rolleyes:
 
I'll find the reference somewhere. It's probably in an unindexed reference in 'Letters'
 
Agh, I should get off my lazy rear end and look too, but..... ;)

I'm trying hard to remember if there is any description whatsoever in the book, but am coming up blank. Will keep checking...
 
FOUND IT!

(Eledhwen leaps up and down in ridiculous triumph)

From UT, "A description of Numenor"

"...but only here grew the mighty golden tree malinorne, reaching after five centuries a height scarce less than it achieved in Eressea itself. Its bark was silver and smooth, and its boughs somewhat upswept after the manner of the beech; but it never grew save with a single trunk. Its leaves, like those of the beech but greater, were pale green above and beneath were silver, glistering in the sun; in the autumn they did not fall, but turned to pale gold. In the spring it bore golden blossom in clusters like a cherry, which bloomed on during the summer; and as soon as the flowers opened the leaves fell, so that through spring and summer a grove of malinorni was carpeted and roofed with gold, but its pillars were of grey silver. Its fruit was a nut with a silver shale; and some were given as a gift by Tar-Aldarion, the sixth King of Numenor, to King Gil-galad of Lindon. They did not take root in that land; but Gil-galad gave some to his kinswom an Galadriel, and under her power they grew and flourished in thegarded land of Lothlorien beside the River Anduin, until the High Elves at last left Middle-Earth; but they did not reach teh height or girth of the great groves of Numenor."

The reason I remembered the shape was that I initially imagined they were shaped like cherry leaves, long with a single point, which turn a beautiful gold in Autumn. After reading the above my imagination got edited and the Mallorn leaves got shorter.
 
Last edited:
Hooray! :)

Now, pardon my ignorance, where does it say that the brooches were shaped after Mallorn leaves? In the gift giving it is merely described as
[a] green leaf veined with silver
which is what PJ did.

Is there somewhere else that it mentions the specific shape of these brooches?
 
You're right GW! Thanks for making my whole thread totally irrelevant :(;)

In defence, I suppose I always thought the leaves were Mallorn, because when describing the cloaks, an Elf said: "...Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lorien that we love: for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make." Also, on the film, the leaves used to wrap the lembas look the same shape as the ones on the cloaks (like very large ivy leaves, not beech).
 
Also, on the film, the leaves used to wrap the lembas look the same shape as the ones on the cloaks
I thought these leaves looked more like the beech! :eek: :) Could be just my imagination, though. I'll have to check the DVD later today...
 
hmmmmmmmm

i think it is supposed to be a beech leaf, it says in TTT when aragorn, legolas and gimli r looking for pippin and merry
'yes,' he said, 'they are quite plain: a hobbit's foot-prints. Pippin's, I think. He is smaller than the other. And look at this!' He held up a thing that glittered in the sunlight. It looked like the new-opened leaf of a beech-tree , fair and strange in that treeless plain.
 
That confirms it then! I have to say, the newly opened leaf of a beech tree is, in my opinion, much more attractive than the ivyleaf. It is the most gorgeous light bright green.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top