• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Mystery Tengwar birthday card

rfnaylor

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2026
Messages
1
TL;DR - Can anyone translate the signature on this birthday card please?

Long version:
I'm looking for some help with a family mystery that has kept us going for over 8 years. Back in 2018 my Dad received a birthday card that was written in a language none of us recognised. The UK postcode and house number were written in roman letters and arabic numerals, which is why the post office were able to deliver it, but the rest of the address and the greeting/signature in the card were in another language or code. We couldn't recognise it and guesses we made such as Hebrew or Arabic didn't hold up, when we compared the glyphs with examples from those languages.

After some time we gave up. Then, recently I thought about using AI to help and got Claude on the job. Claude reckons the address was written in Tengwar, and did so with a high degree of certainty, as I was obviously able to tell Claude what my Dad's exact address was, so Claude was able to cross reference quite thoroughly. However, the signature is proving more difficult as there are few letters and we only have a few guesses as to who might have sent it - so there is not so much to cross reference. I have included an image of the signature inside the card. Can anyone have a stab at translating the signature? So far Claude is stuck, but we have only been considering Tengwar (after the success with the address) but I suppose if the sender was really trying to hide their tracks they might have used yet another middle earth language for the signature - but my knowledge of this is minimal, so I have no guesses myself.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260803_144553767.jpg
    IMG_20260803_144553767.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 29

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top