• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Northwood Inn

"Hmm, I can understand what you are saying. Men tend to be more reckless than elves, and not as wise as them eather. For elves have all the time in the world to do well... anything."

Salman broke from his trance of thought, lifting his eyes." But there is also another reason for this, which goes far beyond the fact of who has more time. For elves, Arda is their home, their shelter, their mother in a sense. They grew up in her bosom, and they cannot leave her. That is why they know so much more in lore than men, for the simple fact that men are visitors of Arda while for elves, it's their home. Elves would obviously know more about their home than some visitors, and even if an elf lived for a hundren years in Arda and a man lived for a 100 thousand years, the elf would still know more in the Sciences and lore than a man, (although it wouldn't be much, considering the fact that the life comparision is 1:1000).

"This is also why Elves aren't affected by diseases of any kind, and why they are immortal. For Diseases are a creation of Mother Nature, or Arda if you like to call it that, and since Elves and Arda exist in a mutualistic realationship, it wouldn't make sense if Arda created a disease that could wipe out the race of elves. That is why elves are immortal, because Arda is their home, and because of this, they could not depart from it (you can only depart from this world by dying). Of course there are exceptions to immortality, such as Grief and being slain, but the elf would only go to the halls of Mandos temporarily. Than he/she would be reincarnted sooner or later as a different elf."

"But for men, Arda is not their home. Eru said that men are visitors of Arda, and because of this, they must die (or else they wouldn't be visitors). That is why they are affected by disease and are not as sturdy as elves (if sturdy is the right word). That is also why they are not as gifted in lore, since they're visitors and they're not staying forever. But there is a place where men do belong, and if you went there you would be no better than a man in this world. That place is their true home, and is their home alone. Where that place is and what it is, only Manwe, me, and Mandos know. Do not ask me any questions about it, since Eru would roast me over a fire if I did and anyway you would not understand."

"Now I must ask you to forgive me for my long speech. If I have confused you, tell me and if you are bored, I am truly, down to my heart, sorry. And now I must gather my thoughts so that I may finish the story I started, for it is very long and I have seen and I know so, So, SO many things that sometimes I jumble things up. Sorry, really I am." and with that Salman took a sip of his drink, but before going into deep thought again he said, "man, this stuff is good, Good, GOOD GOD GOOD!":D
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top