• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Orientalism: Desert Level 🎶Music VS Actual Middle Eastern Music

Joined
Feb 7, 2023
Messages
4,985
I wanted to post this in our Official Music thread, but I thought this way, it would reach people easier.

Basically, what Western Pop Culture thinks Middle Eastern music is like VS what it's actually is. I leave the rest to the video.
 
Is there such a thing as "Middle Eastern Music"?
At the very least, there are three different languages spoken there, Farsi, Turkish and Arabic. At least the latter two also have several dialects. What about Kurdish and Armenian? What about Bosnia, Albania, Afghanistan?
 
That's exactly his point, and he explains everything there. And just so you know, Iran itself consists of many cultures, and therefore many dialects and languages.(Another point he makes in there.)

I watched the first hour before I got busy with other stuff, but I think it was pretty informative, even for me who is from there and is somewhat familiar with them.
 
Sure. Let me know what you think about William Wallace: Epic Scottish Music.🙂
It's about as accurate as his portrayal in the movies. 🤣

He lived in the late 1200s, and would have dressed and armoured himself in a similar fashion to the English he was fighting against.

1716969201538.png
1716969369567.png
 
The analysis as a whole reminded me of this channel I like: The Laughing Cavalier. He reviews historical movies (based in Britain or Europe) and breaks down how good and/or bad they are. With humour and frequent exasperation.

Here's one of his shorter videos ranting about a battle scene.

 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top