• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Question about Boromir

Aredhel Alatàr

New Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
13
The other day I was tidying my room when I found an old summary of the characters of the Lord of the Rings I wrote long ago for a friend who wanted to read the book, but was afraid of getting the many characters all mixed up. Under the entry for Boromir, I was surprised to read that I had written that 'Legend had it that his boat passed unscathed over the sea, and finding the Way through the Sea, it brought his body to the shores of Aman.'

Now, I have looked like crazy everywhere to see where I might have gotten that information (I repeat: it was a resume written as an informative piece, so I put in it only what I thought was canon). My question is: do we actually find this information somewhere in Tolkien, or was it a fragment of fanon I got wrong? Thank you.

Aredhel
 
I dunno, it seems to ring a bell somewhere... maybe you read it in the Unfinished Tales ? It's not in the LoTR, I'm quite sure of it, but maybe it's somewhere else.
 
That particular thing was from the Appendices, I believe.

Not Appendix A or B, which I've read 30 times and are the ones dealing with the Numenoreans.. Actually, I read the entire Appendix, front to back, to my son last year & don't recall that at all. Not in Unfinished Tales either (read 30 times).......

Never heard it anywhere.
Ever.

You sure Peter Jackson didn't come up with that? :confused:
 
This is the closest thing I found so far :

The Two Towers" said:
But in Gondor in after-days it long was said that the elven-boat rode the falls and the foaming pool, and bore him down through Osgiliath, and past the many mouths of Anduin, out into the Great Sea at night under the stars.

It can't be an invention of Peter Jackson's, I only saw the films once a long time ago, and wouldn't remember such a detail.
 
Aman had been removed before Boromir's death, so this would be a notable thing! to even 'be said' to have happened (not that it wouldn't be notable before the removal of Aman as well).

I don't remember this being said; perhaps there was some confusion with Legolas' ship?
 
Or could it be somewhere about the Straight Road ? Such as « no one and nothing save Elves on their ships can find it, but this dead guy on a coracle just sure did » ?
 
Mmmmm. I did write down something about the Straight Road, but it would surprise me if I had just gone out on a limb and deduced it from the passage in The Two Towers you quote...

Thank you all for helping, by the way. Curiosity not always killed the cat, but very often enraged her. ;)

Aredhel
 
Folks, notice the above quote from the text says that it was firstly 'legend' that Boromoir's boat went 'out to the Great Sea' and nothing whatsoever about getting to Aman/Valinor.

Case closed.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top