• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Rings of Power Stuff

@Well-aged Enting , Thank you for the insight and clarity. You never fail to comprehensively draw my attention into reading every last word of your posts, despite the fact that I intended only to briefly scroll.
 
Tolkien scholar T.A.Shippey has this to say about what might be called the "Tolkien etymology" of wargs:
J.R.R. Tolkien, Author of the Century

He goes into an even fuller investigation of other words used by Tolkien, BTW; his discussion of 'wraith' is especially enlightening.
 
How curious, thank you.
I have this book in my digital pile, but have not yet even perused it. It never occurred to me it might be usable as an explanatory resource for specifics within the Lore.
Yet now that I open it and enter many key words/phrases that I have in my ever-extending research list, there isn't a one of them that isn't spoken to in some way or another. (yet).
Thank you.
Perhaps I should make sure I peek into other resources I've been ignoring because I thought the title wouldn't lend the book to specific research issues and values.
There it is.
The Enting may see and hear a lot from his shelf as he looks out upon the world, but he doesn't always grasp the importance of what he sees..!
 
Last edited:
I'd also recommend his The Road to Middle-earth. There's a third edition, often cited by Mr. O.

OK i'll review that too.. its in my library but I'm not sure which edition.

OK i'll review that too.. its in my library but I'm not sure which edition.
Ah. The third edition it is....
and wraith is only mentioned in it 21 times.
I gots a lotta work to do on wraith..!!

Have a link to his wraith discussion?


I'd also recommend his The Road to Middle-earth. There's a third edition, often cited by Mr. O.

Interestingly, in both books it appears he discusses the "wraithing process"... i'll be very curious to see what he has to say about that issue..
 
Last edited:
Here's a short article where someone cites a bit of it:

But I'd certainly recommend acquiring copies, which can be found on ebay and various other places for cheap.

After all, EA, what else are you going to spend all that sweet Amazon cash on? 😉
 
Hope hath indeed been renewed...I am glad that opinions are (finally) beginning to change.
Not really. Most of my friends/acquitances who had watched think first episode is rather bad. I'm planning to watch it myself, but from what I had both heard and read so far, I don't think my opinion is going to change either.

And that article basically talks about how much money had been thrown into production and how pretty it looks... yeah. Some of the best shows ever had some of the worst CGI and design ever.
 
And that article basically talks about how much money had been thrown into production and how pretty it looks... yeah. Some of the best shows ever had some of the worst CGI and design ever.
That at least is one thing PJ did: the bar for such efforts is quite high. But then, especially the CGI, can be overdone. Viggo Mortensen was critical of what he saw (I paraphrase) as "CGI overkill" in PJ's TH trilogy. And wowing the audience with spectacular images could be a way of distracting from weaknesses in dialogues and plot.
 
Precisely.

Andway, I'm watching the episode now. Seven minutes in and I had already found about a dozen contradictions of lore - and I don't mean "stuff made up because Tolkien was unclear or did not provide background", I mean "outright contradicts what Tolkien had written".

It is a disaster, though I guess a person completely unfamiliar with Tolkien's writings will not have noticed anything.

And I'm far from being a Tolkien expert, so I can only imagine the kind of headache this stuff will have caused the experts. Anyway, back to torture now. Still about an hour to go through.
 
maybe we can just play like it's some token recovered from a troll cave somewhere at some point by someone, passed along and eventually stuck in this old historical archival room for memory's sake.
It might be "inspired" by the star of Feänor but it differs in the unequal length of the rays and it is more or less used as e general sigil for all Elvenhood.
( I use the term "inspired" loosely)
 
Popular - how?
Back in the day, Genghis Khan and Hitler were popular too.
I'm sure the anti-RoP internet parasites have bumped the statistics a little.
Anyway, I've enjoyed most of the 1st season and rated it accordingly.
Plan in giving it another binge in the new year.


(Cue the usual BS)
 
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…