• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Sam Quotes?

Chiddler

New Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
2
I’m writing my school essay on Sam and while doing so I’ve come across some of his best quotes. What are your favorite Sam quotes?

my favorites are:
-“It's like the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad has happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. I know now folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something. That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.”
-“But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.”
 
Welcome to the forum, Chiddler!

Blimey, my memory must be going, because I don't remember those quotes, though they do seem to contain echos of famous passages. For instance, parts are similar in language to that in Sam's epiphany on the Ephel Duath:

There, peeping among the cloud-rack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Also, from the earlier conversation on the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, in The Two Towers, where Sam, talking about the Great Tales, realizes they're still in the story of Beren and the Silmarils.

Can you locate the quotes?

Edit: Ah, now I see -- your quotes come from the movies. Are you asking for quotes from them? If so, this thread should be moved to the Movie forum.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Chiddler!

Blimey, my memory must be going, because I don't remember those quotes, though they do seem to contain echos of famous passages. For instance, parts are similar in language to that in Sam's epiphany on the Ephel Duath:


Also, from the earlier conversation on the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, in The Two Towers, where Sam, talking about the Great Tales, realizes they're still in the story of Beren and the Silmarils.

Can you locate the quotes?

Edit: Ah, now I see -- your quotes come from the movies. Are you asking for quotes from them? If so, this thread should be moved to the Movie forum.
Sorry I’m new I didn’t know there was a different place for movie stuff. Movie and book quotes are welcome those were just the ones I happened to remember when I posted this. Thank you for telling me.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top