I agree, but he wasn't a child-like innocent either, which is what had been claimed for him,
lol, I'm glad you liked it in the books, I was beginning to worry!Of course I liked the part in the books, but in the film it was horribly maimed
Here is the Sam I've been reading in the book:You've been reading a different book about Sam!
He was well able to understand peoples motives, feelings, personalities, and furthermore he was a deeply humble person. In the book, you see that although he does not share at all the same view as his master on Gollum, he keeps it to himself; having an occasional strong word escape you about someone you don't trust, when you are angry, is another thing than painfully lecturing your master who knows far better than you. Sam, in the film, is portayed:I hate leaving them, and like this without any explanation. But surely they will understand. Sam will.
Originally posted by Eledhwen
. Samwise Gamgee is not a stealth tactician, he's a gardener - of high honour.
Nor did I; I was just about to ask Mindy to explainOriginally posted by Rúmil
adjectives as nouns? I didn't get that one
Originally posted by Rúmil
Do you mean to say you think it is impossible to be both innocent in soul and noble in spirit?
In the movie, IMHO, he is too sugary and childish to be believable.
Another thing: you seem quite adamant that Lotr has 'inconsistancies'. Would you please explain which ones?
You've lost me on "bumbling boob", but accepting that, and realising that you can't have both" of three things, I see no reason why one person shouldn't show at least three different aspects at different times.Originally posted by Foe-Hammer ....Tolkien's characters....some traits possessed by them are not consistent with others.
In the book, Sam (just for an example), is both a bumbling boob, an innocent soul, and a noble friend.
The way Sam is presented in the movie is different than the book, but he is totally believable in the movie.
People keep complaining about movies being interested in the special effects.
....freeing the mind up to be critical of other things. IE, cartoonish characters in a serious story about good and evil. It just don't work.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?