• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Searching For the Ruin of Doriath

Duguay

Active Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
87
I need help from Tolkien loremasters. My journey through the Silmarillion, particularly the fate of the Realm of Doriath, has led me on an extended excursion through the History volumes. After I came across details about how the chapter was composed in the published Silmarillion, I supplimented my reading with The Wanderings of Hurin, the story of the Nauglafring in TBoLT Volume II, as well as looked at the Sketch, the Quenta Noldorinwa, the Quenta Silmarillion, and the various Annals. So I've read across the History, Volumes II, IV, V, and XI.

Where I'm getting stuck is information on the internet about material in the Beren and Luthian book that supposedly wasn't included in the above History volumes. I've tried looking around in my copy of Beren and Luthian, but I'm having difficulty pinning down the new material that wasn't already published in the previous volumes. I gather it is material having to do with Beren and Luthian's final fate, the latest conceptualized version?

Or have I covered all my bases? Do I have some misconceptions that need to be re-directed? My plan was to finish my reading of the Ruin of Doriath with the section at the end of The Tale of Years in Volume XI War of the Jewels; "A note on Chapter 22 Of the Ruin of Doriath in the published Silmarillion" before transitioning to The Fall of Gondolin.

I figured before I transition to the next narrative stage, I would make this last attempt to pin down if I've missed anything.
 
Beren and Lúthien aside (I haven't read the one volume edition, although I did look at the pictures), with respect to the Fall of Doriath, we now have Concerning "The Hoard".

If that helps!

 
I had almost forgotten about The Hoard among the materials I compiled, thank you for reminding me!

(I also love looking at the pictures, whether it's Alan Lee, Ted Naismith, or Tolkien himself!)
 
Back
Top