• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Short Stories or Novels?

V

Violanthe

Guest
When it comes to reading fiction, which form do you prefer? Which do you read most often? What are the pros and cons of each? Why do you find one more engaging, entertaining, etc?
 
Novels, by an infinite margin.

I read the occasional anthology of short stories, but novels are usually much more engaging and complex.
 
I agree. I have not read very many short stories, but from what I have seen, novels are definitely my favorite. The problem with short stories is just that -- they are short. I am usually very sad when a novel is done and I want to know more about the characters. With a short story this is even worse!

However, short stories can be great. I believe 1001 Arabian Nights could be classified as a compilation of short stories (it's been such a long time since I read that, I don't even remember). Look at fairy tales also. No one can dislike fairy tales! Elgee writes rather nice short stories too!

Another way short stories can be used is if someone wants to express a belief or get a point across about a specific subject. Short fictional stories that tackle tough subjects can be very poingant and convincing to the reader.

But I still like novels best -- and if there's a series, that's even better (as long as it's a good story). The longer I can follow the characters, the happier I am! :)
 
Short stories used to be a major source of writer revenue. I think now this is less common. Running out of money while working on the novel? Jot down a short story, get enough for lunch.

I don't write a lot of short stories because I don't read a lot of short stories. I don't really read magazines, just books.

I do like some, though, for instance I have The Troll Garden Willa Cather collection, and I like most of those, I adore fairy tales, etc.
 
I would say that a fairy tale is even a different genre than a short story. Don't you think?
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top