I think I know some cat-owners (a contradiction in terms) on another site who may have been sad that Tevildo got replaced by some jewelry-obsessed Maia.There are things from previous versions of TS that i just like too much to ignore them so for me they're still canon in a blurry/dreamy way.
In the movie forum, there was a huge discussion concerning taking only LoTr and The Hobbit as standard. Some felt that only these writings could be trusted and that all post-Tolkien works were interesting at best....
I did read somewhere that before Tolkien did LoTR he tried to get Silmarillion published, but to no avail, so he set it aside and started LoTR. After LoTR was published he turned his eyes to the Elder days of ME.
My point is, is that I think (though edited by Christopher Tolkien) the Silmarillion was pretty definitive on what Tolkien felt and agreed on concerning other matters. I think that Sil can be trusted as a definitive source along side Hobbit and LoTR.
Any comments?
To repeat an opinion - perhaps "heretical"I always refer to Silmarillion if I ever need any background reading and understanding of all things ME 😆
Please come back soon, and expand on this! I hadn't considered it before, but the possible symmetries are tantalizing:: I think Tolkien made the unique nature of the Dúnedain blades and their similarity to the Morgul-blades clear;
Working backwards, the first pertinent passage is in Reader’s Companion at the end of the chapter for “Knife in the Dark”. Hammond and Scull recite Tolkien’s notes on the chapter:Please come back soon, and expand on this! I hadn't considered it before, but the possible symmetries are tantalizing:
'There are evil things written on this hilt,' he said; 'though maybe your eyes cannot see them.'
So from this passage we learn thatIt is a strange thing that the camp was not watched while darkness lasted of the night Oct. 6-7, … so that [the Witch-king] … lost track of the Ring. … [The Witch-king] … had been shaken by the fire of Gandalf, and began to perceive that the mission on which Sauron had sent him was one of great peril to himself both by the way, and on his return to his Master (if unsuccessful);… [A]bove all the timid and terrified Bearer had resisted him, had dared to strike at him with an enchanted sword made by his own enemies long ago for his destruction. Narrowly it had missed him. How he had come by it – save in the Barrows of Cardolan. Then he was in some way mightier than the B[arrow]-wight…
Escaping a wound that would have been as deadly to him as the Mordor-knife to Frodo (as was proved at the end), he withdrew and hid for a while…
So here are some more ideas to hold onto.You were beginning to fade. … The wound was overcoming you at last. A few more hours and you would have been beyond our aid. … [T]here was some fragment of the blade still in the closed wound. But it could not be found until last night. Then Elrond removed a splinter. … It has been melted. [I]t seems that Hobbits fade very reluctantly. I have known strong warriors of the Big People who would quickly have been overcome by that splinter… They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife which remains in the wound. If they had succeeded, you would have become like they are, only weaker and under their command. You would have become a wraith…
So here’s another idea:A mortal … who keeps one of the Great Rings does not die, but he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness. And if he often uses the Ring to make himself invisible, he fades: he becomes in the end invisible permanently, and walks in the twilight under the eye of the dark power that rules the Rings. Yes, sooner or later – later, if he is strong or well-meaning to begin with, but neither strength nor good purpose will last – sooner or later the dark power will devour him.
So here’s the last little tidbit:[G]lad would he have been to know [the] fate [of the sword of the Barrow-downs] who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-kingdom when the Dúnedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will.
Ah yes, dear ol' Scooby Doo. Started back in 1969, when my family and I moved into the house on Long Island.
Erm - so this makes Tom Bombadil Scooby Doo? Or the other way around? In one way it does not fit at all: Tom was fearless, Scooby a pretty big chicken! 🐔Aha -- so you should have caught the reference!
Scooby threatening to take a pee on Old Man Willow - might work … 🤣The attempt might make for an interesting exercise, though. . .
That’s an interesting notion. I had always assumed the wights were there to prevent the Dúnedain of Cardolan from using the barrows as defensive positions, as they did during Angmar’s first invasion in Third Age 1409. And I assumed the Witch-king had gathered and deposited the blades in the tomb himself. I wonder if there’s any way to clarify matters?On one point, I'd offer, not a quibble, exactly, but a possible alternate idea: that the Dunedain of Cardolan, facing utter defeat, and what looked like extinction, but knowing the Witch-King and other Ringwraiths would "live" on, interred the Barrow-blades themselves, in fear of their being lost or destroyed, and in hopes that they would someday be recovered by enemies of Mordor. It would then make sense for the Witch-King to send the wights to guard against this.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?