• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🎲 Synonyms, Antonyms, Definitions!

🎲 Game Thread

WatcherWraith

Fairë Hyamië(Phantom of Prayer).
Joined
Jan 21, 2024
Messages
842
@david_wendelken gave us a list of words to explore, differentiate, and clarify. I liked the idea, but thought it possibly best to give this kind of discussion its own thread so we could continue it and the other word game simulataneously.

Here's my shot at outlining the differences between these words, all of which were synonyms for "look".

glance = a quick flick of the eyes towards a target. Sometimes moves away again just as quickly, sometime lingers.

look = generally a somewhat passive term in my experience, given its broad usage. Typically means a medium-speed movement of eyes towards the target and lingering there. Used especially when one person is showing attention another's conversation by "looking" at them.

glare = a fastening of eyes on a particular target, motivated by varying levels of anger. Looks frightening, generally. Includes implied or stated threat.

gawk = a type of surprised or awed expression, usually implemented when watching Danny the Duke of Danger twirl flaming torches and grab them by the fiery end.

squint = a narrowing of the eyes while attempting to look in a particular direction. Usually done either when the sun is bright(ouch) or when someone is trying to see far away.

see = another very general term. I think this one refers mostly to describe the action of employing vision.

gaze = a gentle kind of looking. Lovers do this to each other a lot, or parents to children they love.

stare = a lingering of the eyes on a particular target without moving. Done a lot when someone is daydreaming, or when the attention is held fast by someone.

peer = actually a lot like squint, I think. Except this one is typically more associated with the view of things far-away...or of someone believed to be particularly dumb....

view = can be a verb, but more commonly used as a noun, I think. A distant action, in any case, used when the reader is not supposed to be very close to the "viewer's" perspective.

watch = as steady as a stare, but not as focused. A more relaxed, more aware fixing on someone or something.

observe = similar to the above, but even more detached and relaxed. Isn't that invested.

behold = very debateable, as I think this verb may be employed with multiple types of intensity, but generally used when viewing something or someone amazing, awe-inspiring, or very beautiful.

survey = a verb which includes moving the eyes over a broad object or series of objects. Looking over a field, for example, or surveying a crowd.

inspect = oppositionally, much more detailed and down in the grit. Looking below the surface for clues means yiu're inspecting.

regard = more distant of a verb, one where thought is more involved than vision, I think.

scrutinize = very similar to inspect, but I think here the scrutinizer doesn't actually know what they're looking for exactly. They just want to see whatever details will give them a clue of their goals.

peep = hide and go peep. Or, being around a corner and moving past it just enough your eyes can see around it. Doesn't always have a good reputation as an action...

glimpse = to see a brief dash or flash of something.

scan = to take a broad, slow, thorough view of something. Typically used of machines, but involves a process with humans.

spot = to discover and fasten one's eyes on a particular detail one was looking for.

examine = very close to scrutinize and inspect, but not quite so detailed. Still, a careful employment of vision.

peruse = this one refers almost exclusively to reading. Perusing a book is to read a book.

ogle = not a commonly loved verb 🥲 to stare with thoughtless wonder at someone.

gape = close to ogle, I think, but this one actually focuses less on the action, and more on the movement of the eyes and mouth. Comes from surprise, usually.

glower = similar to glare, but this one is actually less invested. Usually a type of temporary glance givwn between rivals.

gander: a fleeting, uninterested action involving moving one's eyes across a desired target without really going into the details beyond the simple appearance.


I'm out of time, or I would have gone into more detail on some of these. Enjoy! Hope I did well.
 
You hit the nail on the head! Gander was the only one I wasn’t really sure because I associate it with geese. 😂

peer = actually a lot like squint, I think. Except this one is typically more associated with the view of things far-away...or of someone believed to be particularly dumb....
I think this one is also similar to examine/inspect. I typically picture someone leaning in towards the object of attention when "peering" at something. Almost as if taking a closer look.

peep = hide and go peep. Or, being around a corner and moving past it just enough your eyes can see around it.
This one is similar to glimpse but faster paced-- it's to quickly take a look at something because chances are limited to do so, hence seizing the opportunity. A hastened glimpse but more focused, if you will.

peruse = this one refers almost exclusively to reading. Perusing a book is to read a book.
Peruse typically means to scan/look through something for something in particular. As if you're casually on a quest to find something. It is usually associated with browsing literature.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top