Vardarianna
Princess of Arnor and Gondor
- Joined
- Jan 22, 2025
- Messages
- 389
I marked this with a 'Spoiler' tag for anyone who has not read the Lord of the Rings books.
One thing that always intrigued me in the 'Passing of the Grey Company' chapter was the standard that Arwen made and sent with her brothers south with the Grey Company. When I first read it, I wanted to know what it looked like, and I was intrigued how Arwen made it 'in secret' in Rivendell.
The standard is first mentioned when the Grey Company meets King Theoden's riders, and Aragorn is with them. It is first unfurled at the Stone of Erech after Aragorn blows a silver horn and proclaims his kingship to the Dead...
I admit to being a bit disappointed that it was all black, but I did have hope for more by the way Tolkien wrote it. Later in the book in the chapter 'The Battle of The Pelennor Fields', the standard brings hope from the despair King Eomer felt when he first saw it as he made his last stand...
- Return of the King, Book V - Chapter 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
The device of the standard was illuminated in the light of day, and appeared black in darkness. I always marveled at that. Depicted is what LotR Wiki has which matches the description in the book. I am curious what other depictions from other artists have for the Standard.
One thing that always intrigued me in the 'Passing of the Grey Company' chapter was the standard that Arwen made and sent with her brothers south with the Grey Company. When I first read it, I wanted to know what it looked like, and I was intrigued how Arwen made it 'in secret' in Rivendell.
The standard is first mentioned when the Grey Company meets King Theoden's riders, and Aragorn is with them. It is first unfurled at the Stone of Erech after Aragorn blows a silver horn and proclaims his kingship to the Dead...
And with that he bade Halbarad unfurl the great standard which he had brought; and behold! it was black, and if there was any device upon it, it was hidden in the darkness.
- Return of the King, Book V - Chapter 2: Passing of the Grey Company
And then wonder took him, and a great joy; and he cast his sword up in the sunlight and sang as he caught it. And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harlond. There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count. And the stars flamed in the sunlight, for they were wrought of gems by Arwen daughter of Elrond; and the crown was bright in the morning, for it was wrought of mithril and gold.
- Return of the King, Book V - Chapter 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
The device of the standard was illuminated in the light of day, and appeared black in darkness. I always marveled at that. Depicted is what LotR Wiki has which matches the description in the book. I am curious what other depictions from other artists have for the Standard.


