• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Unborn

Joined
Feb 7, 2023
Messages
4,985
[Jalan]
We should run,” I said, having not the least idea why I was not already
doing so. The word quarry repeated over and again behind my eyes. “What’s happening down there?” Perhaps a sick fascination kept me there, or the immobility of the rabbit beneath hawk’s claws.
“Something is being built,” Snorri said. “When the unborn return, they take what they need.”
“Return?” I sometimes ask even when I really don’t want to hear the answer. Bad habit.
“It’s hard for the unborn to return. They are not like fallen that rise from the deaths of men.” Snorri began to swing his sword left-handed, blurring it around him in fire-glow glimmers, making the air sigh. “They are uncommon things.
The world must be cracked open to admit them, and their strength is surpassing.
The Dead King must want us very badly indeed."

1000015191.jpg



This work was born of my first and only attempt at using coffee stains to draw. I saw the shape of a face and a cloak at the beginning, and immediately thought of the Nazgul. Yet, somewhere along the way, it evolved into this. The Unborn is a fantastical creature from The Red Queen's War series by Mark Lawrence.
(It was a quite unique story, but more of that in the Reading Threads.)
 
[Jalan]
We should run,” I said, having not the least idea why I was not already
doing so. The word quarry repeated over and again behind my eyes. “What’s happening down there?” Perhaps a sick fascination kept me there, or the immobility of the rabbit beneath hawk’s claws.
“Something is being built,” Snorri said. “When the unborn return, they take what they need.”
“Return?” I sometimes ask even when I really don’t want to hear the answer. Bad habit.
“It’s hard for the unborn to return. They are not like fallen that rise from the deaths of men.” Snorri began to swing his sword left-handed, blurring it around him in fire-glow glimmers, making the air sigh. “They are uncommon things.
The world must be cracked open to admit them, and their strength is surpassing.
The Dead King must want us very badly indeed."

View attachment 33600



This work was born of my first and only attempt at using coffee stains to draw. I saw the shape of a face and a cloak at the beginning, and immediately thought of the Nazgul. Yet, somewhere along the way, it evolved into this. The Unborn is a fantastical creature from The Red Queen's War series by Mark Lawrence.
(It was a quite unique story, but more of that in the Reading Threads.)
This is an interesting and fantastic medium! Nice work!
 
We should run,” I said, having not the least idea why I was not already
doing so. The word quarry repeated over and again behind my eyes. “What’s happening down there?” Perhaps a sick fascination kept me there, or the immobility of the rabbit beneath hawk’s claws.
“Something is being built,” Snorri said. “When the unborn return, they take what they need.”
“Return?” I sometimes ask even when I really don’t want to hear the answer. Bad habit.
“It’s hard for the unborn to return. They are not like fallen that rise from the deaths of men.” Snorri began to swing his sword left-handed, blurring it around him in fire-glow glimmers, making the air sigh. “They are uncommon things.
The world must be cracked open to admit them, and their strength is surpassing.
The Dead King must want us very badly indeed."
Where are you coming from, and where are you taking me?
And why the urge to run?
and where or what is 'down there'??
and, and.... and....

You've introduced a great deal here in a very few sentences. A great deal of Questions. Away with the questions, a plague upon them. Answers. I need answers..!
 
Where are you coming from, and where are you taking me?
And why the urge to run?
and where or what is 'down there'??
and, and.... and....

You've introduced a great deal here in a very few sentences. A great deal of Questions. Away with the questions, a plague upon them. Answers. I need answers..!
Worth the read, as it is very different from your typical YA fantasy.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top