• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tom Bombadil’s Speech

Although with a bit of reflection I might have been a little harsh where Bombadil is concerned. Having looked back at the many, many times I've read LoTR I'm slightly disturbed to realise that I've been skimming over his chapters almost from the start. Oh dear.
Well obviously there's an easy fix for this, I'll give his chapters a proper re-read and see what I may have been missing.
 
The first time I read LOTR I was a bit put off by him, mostly when he came dancing up the path by the Withywindle.
I like him better, much better, when he was in his house and actually talking with the Hobbits.
On subsequent re-reads I came to like him better when he first shows up, and to very much appreciate him when he is in his house, and later when he rescues the Hobbits. But it was Goldberry's talking about him to Frodo that really started me thinking about him in depth.
 
No, No, No, and No. 😂

I don't claim to understand Tom's origin, but who does? He's an enigma on purpose, so instead of wasting my time trying to figure out where he came from, I appreciate the unhinged yet wholesome cottagecore vibes he brings to the story.
 
I have read that Greek minstrels could sing the Iliad and Odyssey from memory.
I have been recently studying Ukranian folklore, and I must say... One of the old songs I researched took me half an hour to read, not to mention how long it would take singing it! (although I'm pretty sure that the Illiad and Oddesy are longer than that).
I wonder if anyone has ever memorised the Lay of Lathien...
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…