• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Twice the frame rate

Joined
Apr 19, 2002
Messages
4,431
Major news on the technical end.

We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 fps, rather than the usual 24 fps (films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920's). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe."

Shooting and projecting at 48 fps does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike, and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D. We've been watching HOBBIT tests and dailies at 48 fps now for several months, and we often sit through two hours worth of footage without getting any eye strain from the 3-D. It looks great, and we've actually become used to it now, to the point that other film experiences look a little primitive. I saw a new movie in the cinema on Sunday and I kept getting distracted by the juddery panning and blurring. We're getting spoilt!
http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/48-frames-per-second/10150222861171558
 
Yeah, I do wonder what this will end up looking like.

PJ's quick to point out that he and his crew haven't suffered any "eye strain" from watching the playbacks, but I don't have quite as much faith in my own peepers.

Also... how many theaters will have the equipment to show this film in all of its 48-fps glory? And how many people will care enough to seek out those venues?
 

Until they get 3D technology to the point where the image is just as bright and colorful as 2D, you can take yer 3D goggles and put 'em under the theater seats! A few months back we decided to see Avatar in 3D on the big screen. I had a king-size headache afterwards. Once I finally got to see it in full brilliant color on our HDTV, that's where I really enjoyed it! (Plus having captions) So I'll stick to 2D for the foreseeable future, thank you very much! :*cool:

Barley
 

Similar threads

Back
Top