• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🪦 Vale Tom Robbins - July 22 1932 to February 9 2025 - Age 92

Rest In Peace

Halasían

A Retired Dúnedain Ranger Fishing Lake Evendim
Joined
Dec 16, 2001
Messages
2,276
​

Tom Robbins​
​

notes-from-the-underground2-jpg.40631


Tom Robbins; Author of several books starting with 'Another Roadside Attraction' released in 1971, has died at age 92.​






List of Tom Robbins Novels:




notes-from-the-underground1-jpg.40630



I only read the first three of his book, but where I got to know Tom was through listening to his radio show 'Notes From The Underground' as a youth in the late 1960s. There is a couple archived recordings of his show on the Seattle radio station KRAB 107.7 archive. I also read the columns he wrote in the local Seattle daily papers (Post-Intelligencer and Times), and occasionally on the underground newspaper 'The Helix'.

From Wikipedia: In 1962, Robbins moved to Seattle to seek an M.A. at the Far East Institute of the University of Washington. During the next five years in Seattle (minus a year spent in New York City researching a book on Jackson Pollock) he worked for the Seattle Times as an art critic. In 1965, he wrote a column on the arts for Seattle Magazine as well as occasionally for Art in America and Artforum. Also during this time, he hosted a weekly alternative radio show, Notes from the Underground, at non-commercial KRAB-FM, Seattle. It was in 1967, while writing a review of the rock band The Doors, that Robbins said he found his literary voice. While working on his first novel, Robbins worked the weekend copy desk of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Robbins would remain in Seattle, on and off, for the following forty years.

I met him twice. The first time was in passing when I was 14 and went into the Central Tavern in Seattle's Pioneer Square to get a 'J.J. "Tiny" Freeman for Congress' bumper sticker. He listed the Central Tavern as his campaign headquarters. Tom was sitting with him at the bar. Timy quickly gave me a button and herded me out the door. Later in 1986 at the Seattle Bumbershoot Festival, I ran into a mutual friend who was with him. Rest Easy Tom. Think I'll read and re-read some of your books. It's been a long time.
​
 

Attachments

  • Notes from the Underground1.jpg
    Notes from the Underground1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Notes from the Underground2.jpg
    Notes from the Underground2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top