• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Which trees resemble Tolkien's 🌳ents the most?

Another set of excellent pictures. Thanks again, entbabe :). Those boab trees look a bit scary :( ... I'm not used to such big trees :eek:. But actually, when you get used to them, they do look very majestic. And that "Pip and Merry" pic is funny.
 
Wow, entbabe, more great pictures, as usual! For all you fellow tree lovers, you have to check out the book Meetings with Remarkable Trees by Thomas Pakenham. It has simply glorious huge trees in it! I'll try to post one of them later - definately ent candidates!
 
I travelled through a giant Redwood forest in California at night.

There is a vast sense of time, like an outdoor Cathedral, like towering silent watchers. So many of California's magnificent forests have fallen to the axe, it always reminds me of Loreena McKennit's Bonnie Portmore.

"All the birds in the forest, they bitterly weep,
saying "where shall we shelter, where shall we sleep,
for the oak and the ash are all cutten down
and the walls of Bonnie Portmore are all down to the ground.

Oh Bonnie Portmore, you are shining where you stand,
and the more I think on you, the more I think long."
 
it always reminds me of Loreena McKennit's Bonnie Portmore.

I just listened to that song for the first time about a week ago and it was very touching to me, also. It's cool to meet other tree lovers on TTF. :) Doesn't Loreena McKennit have another song about the death of trees on her newer album? I can't remember for certain.

are you all getting sick of me posting tree pics yet?
No way, you find great ones, entbabe! I wish I could post those beautiful trees from Pakenham's book, but they are huge and I don't know how to shrink them properly. Anyway, he has a brand new book out called Remarkable Trees of the World. I'm not trying to sell his books or anything...I just think his photographs are spectacular from a nature lover's point of view, and capture the soul of the trees. Also, he is poetic about them and in the new book he even mentions Tolkien's ents and their destruction of Isengarde, while talking about the quinault lake red cedar in Washington State. :D
 
Meetings.. is one my of my most treasured books. Great to know that he has a new one out!

Cool - hope you like it!! I'm thinking about asking for it for Christmas. I saw it at the library. I love how he organizes the different trees by their "personality" - goddesses, giants, etc. :) Thanks for that article, btw. ;)
 
Athelas:So many of California's magnificent forests have fallen to the axe, it always reminds me of Loreena McKennit's Bonnie Portmore.

I've never heard that song, but those lyrics are beautiful. They sound a bit Tolkienish in my opinion. Thank you, Athelas, for providing them, and thanks, entbabe, for another set of excellent pic's :). I think I'll check my library for Pakenham's books...
 
i was just rereading a page from one of those links i posted on the Huon Pines and came across this extract that may just support my half-fancy belief that there are indeed Ents in Tasmania:

The Huon pine can reach prodigious ages, often in excess of 2000 years, making it among the longest-lived organisms on Earth. Only the bristle-cone pine of North America exceeds it in age. International headlines were made with the discovery of a stand of Huon pines on Mt Read that was widely quoted as being in excess of 10 000 years of age. All the individuals in this population are genetically identical, and are all males. The stand arose from one or a small number of individuals, and has maintained itself by vegetative reproduction. It is important to remember that no individual tree in the Mt Read stand is 10 000 years old -- rather, the stand itself has been in existence for that long.

woah!

Now that summer has arrived here I am going to go check out Mt Read myself to take some photos and record any conversations I have with our green friends (teehee) Does anyone want to come on this Entour with me...it's kind of like a detour but you deliberately get lost in the forest :p

I will keep you all posted.


eb
 
I just thought of another ent-like book for my fellow ent & tree lovers. It's Whisper from the Woods by Victoria Wirth, with way cool illustrations by A. Scott Banfill. It's a child's picture book, but with these marvellous adult style paintings of trees with human faces in them. The faces are covered with brown bark, and even the acorns have little baby's faces in them. They are very different from any other fantasy art conceptions I've seen of what ents look like. My favorite picture shows the trees asleep in winter, holding hands underground with their roots. Hope someone out there checks it out! :)
 
Where I live, we have a lot of "pologna trees" on my property. Supposedly they are on the Japanese black market... thought that was kinda cool...
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top