Of course I can't be totally sure that my idea is right. However, I don't see anything blasphemous in it. Even though Tolkien imagined that Middle-Earth is the past of our world, I think he would agree that these worlds are rather different in some sense. For example, the first chapter of The Silmarillion has a lot in common with The Bible but not everything is similar there.While JRRT conceded that some of his characters showed character traits to be found in people mentioned in the Bible, he was adamant that in all cases the differences were far greater. He would have considered any such attempt, on his part or by others, to introduce specifics of the Bible into a story as blasphemous. An incarnation on earth of "The One" thousands of years before the New Testament would probably top his list of blasphemies.
It sounds almost like you're trying to find allegories to the Bible in his works ... 🥶
It may be so.
Did Bombadil fall to Sauron?
No, but at the Council of Elrond it's suggested that he could not hold off Sauron forever.
Could that power be defied by Bombadil alone? I think not. I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First; and then Night will come.’
‘I know little of Iarwain save the name,’ said Galdor; ‘but Glorfindel, I think, is right. Power to defy our Enemy is not in him, unless such power is in the earth itself. And yet we see that Sauron can torture and destroy the very hills. What power still remains lies with us, here in Imladris, or with Cirdan at the Havens, or in Lórien. But have they the strength, have we here the strength to withstand the Enemy, the coming of Sauron at the last, when all else is overthrown?’
That's putting it mildly.Of course I can't be totally sure that my idea is right. However, I don't see anything blasphemous in it. Even though Tolkien imagined that Middle-Earth is the past of our world, I think he would agree that these worlds are rather different in some sense. For example, the first chapter of The Silmarillion has a lot in common with The Bible but not everything is similar there.
Melian served Vána and Este, if I remember correctly.
(. . .) JRRT as a devout, conservative Vaticanum I Catholic (. . .), would not have touched an earlier incarnation of "The One" in his writings with a 100-foot, never mind 10-foot pole.
"They say," answered Andreth, "they say that the One will himself enter into Arda, and heal Men and all the Marring from the beginning to the end. (. . .) Yet there is no power conceivable greater than Melkor save Eru only. Therefore Eru, if He will not relinquish His work to Melkor, who must else proceed to mastery, then Eru must come in to conquer him. (. . .)
Since Finrod had already guessed that the redemptive function was originally, specially assigned to Men, he probably proceeded to the expectation that "the coming of Eru", if it took place, would be specially and primarily concerned with Men: that is to an imaginative guess or vision that Eru would come incarnated in human form. This, however, does not appear in the Athrabeth.
While JRRT conceded that some of his characters showed character traits to be found in people mentioned in the Bible, he was adamant that in all cases the differences were far greater. He would have considered any such attempt, on his part or by others, to introduce specifics of the Bible into a story as blasphemous. An incarnation on earth of "The One" thousands of years before the New Testament would probably top his list of blasphemies.
It sounds almost like you're trying to find allegories to the Bible in his works ... 🥶
R_l, I'm not accusing anybody of anything ... but I can well imagine that JRRT would, or might, consider such - well, allegory of? - the Bible in such a way, given the strength of his religious beliefs. To clarify, with "consider", I don't mean he would state as much in writing. From what I believe I can gather from Humphrey Carpenter's book "The Inklings", JRRT was not the confrontational type. That would be much more in character for C.S. Lewis, who once described himself (in discussions at Inklings meetings) as a "bow-wow dogmatic".
אני מאמין שכן.אוקיי, אז... לשאלת השרשור המקורית - לדעתך זה יגרום לו להיות מבוגר או צעיר יותר מ-Treebeard.
ברוך הבא לסיפון, דרך אגב, אלרוס. מקווה שאתה נהנה מהזמן שלך כאן. יש הרבה מה לראות ולקרוא. תהנה.
Would that I could read this... I might be profited thereby.אני מאמין שכן.
אגב, התיאוריה שטום הוא אלוהים שגויה מיסודה.
למה?
טולקין עצמו אמר שטום לא יכול להתמודד מול האויב.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?