I think what @Muskrat was getting at with "better bets...." was 'on the surface it would seem better choices were....'
I would consider that to be conjecture. However, for argument's sake, assuming he could get into Mordor, there's still the trouble of getting about unseen by enemies.Frodo fails on the barrow downs by going to sleep near a barrel when he was specifically told to avoid them. Ranger that he was, the greatest huntsman in this age of the world, I have no doubt that Aragorn could’ve easily found his way through the mountains of shadow. I am sure that he could have crossed the redhorn pass, were he not encumbered by the hobbits.
Absolutely right. I suppose it is faith over reason reall.I think what @Muskrat was getting at with "better bets...." was 'on the surface it would seem better choices were....'
But at the end of the day, it was clear Frodo was the appointed one. Had Eru 'appointed' Aragorn or Glorfindal or some other, there would have been ample Providence at hand to have shown that.
The key being, the Council did not look to 'the wisdom of men' to guide them... they ultimately saw more deeply.
(Several other Scripture passages could be cited here... but I refrain because I have come to believe they are irrelevant. Tolkien is not standing on his Christian background... but on the 'elements' of Religion... in this case the element, Providence... clear for the wise to see in the face of what seemed like 'much better or more reasonable choices.' )
In the end, precisely. The Providence being recognized, the faith rules the day.I suppose it is faith over reason reall.
Perhaps, though I think Glorfindel would be a very poor candidate; as Gandalf says, "Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him." Aragorn may possess stealth as a Ranger but we know nothing of this ability in Glorfindel. Everything we know about him suggests a beacon. That's exactly how Frodo sees him at the Ford of Bruinen.I think what @Muskrat was getting at with "better bets...." was 'on the surface it would seem better choices were....'
But at the end of the day, it was clear Frodo was the appointed one. Had Eru 'appointed' Aragorn or Glorfindal or some other, there would have been ample Providence at hand to have shown that.
Well, this was obviously not willful ignorance on his part, but trickery by the Wights. The text makes it clear he is trying to avoid the Downs. Anyone, any naif, could have been so confused and fallen into the trap. It's one thing to say, "Avoid the Barrow-downs", another thing entirely if the Barrow-wights have the ability to befuddle you and lure you into their crib.Frodo fails on the barrow downs by going to sleep near a barrel when he was specifically told to avoid them.
Incompetent? Is that not a bit harsh?Frodo IS incompetent . He fails on the Barrow Downs, at Bree, on Weathertop, and at the end. But he does not give up when any noormal person would have quit. That is admirable. Would anyone have beeb competant to take the Ring? It was an impossible task, and only by providence was is accomplished. Better bets would have been Aragorn, Glorfindel, etc. But Frodo was meant to carry the Ring, he chose to do it, and Gandalf and Elrond were so intuned with the Great Beyond that they could perceive ? Intuit? that.
My question is simple -- why was Frodo made Ringbearer?
You forgot the "Doh!" 😄The simple answer is Frodo became a Ringbearer because Bilbo left the Ring to him.
Don't forget the bells on Asfaloth!Perhaps, though I think Glorfindel would be a very poor candidate; as Gandalf says, "Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him." Aragorn may possess stealth as a Ranger but we know nothing of this ability in Glorfindel. Everything we know about him suggests a beacon. That's exactly how Frodo sees him at the Ford of Bruinen.
Personally, I think not, if we understand 'incompetent' rightly.Incompetent? Is that not a bit harsh?
They couldn't get through the wilderness and avoid the Ringwraiths without his help, true. But at that point, none of them had any experience. You cannot logically have expected that they should have just navigated their way to Rivendell without issue with Ringwraiths on their trail.I love hobbits, but Strider says they could never make it to Rivendell without help. Surely everyone agrees. And surely Orodruin is much harder to get to than Imladris. How could any rational person think Frodo could do it? Same deal sending Merry and Pippen instead of stronger folk. I think it was a matter of faith and good intentions. Those are crucial in Middle Earth. Would that it were so in our world! My wife and I would certainly advise our clients differently!
It's not an appropriate word to the situation and person. Frodo was not some professional hired to do a task. At the time he was fleeing the Shire. And nobody knew at that point what was to be done with the Ring. Even after Frodo volunteered to take the Ring (where nobody else would) he was not exactly a mercenary.Personally, I think not, if we understand 'incompetent' rightly.
It's not such a 'negative' word as we currently wish to make it.
It simply means 'not competent'. And who among them was?
Incompetent def: "not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully."
They were all incompetent to the task.
I personally feel @Muskrat has chosen an excellent word.
I disagree.Personally, I think not, if we understand 'incompetent' rightly.
It's not such a 'negative' word as we currently wish to make it.
It simply means 'not competent'. And who among them was?
Incompetent def: "not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully."
They were all incompetent to the task.
I personally feel @Muskrat has chosen an excellent word.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?