My gosh...
I didn't say Bombadil was responsible (maybe Tom thought the hobbits had more experience). Only that the hobbits couldn't be expected to be "incompetent" without all the necessary info. Those other analogies you use don't really fit. Again, the hobbits were in unfamiliar territory facing supernatural enemies. How does that equate to spray cans and gas ovens?It's true... Bombadil didn't warn them 'there might be fog.' But that does not make Bombadil responsible for their capture. They had the warning, and they were unable to withstand the assault.
At some point, we have to admit they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and they weren't able to withstand the results.
What does this say? Simply, they were 'incompetent' to keep their sense of direction, etc.
It's not always somebody else's fault. Sometimes it's not even our fault. It's just 'the way things are.'
Interesting. Being 'incompetent' simply MEANS we don't have all the necessary info, education, training, or whatever is needed to make us 'competent'.couldn't be expected to be "incompetent" without all the necessary info.
Well, it wasn't anything I meant to imply. And I still don't see any equivalence between aerosol spray cans and unfamiliar territory where fog may drop when it normally doesn't (i.e. caused by evil undead beings).Of course you didn't SAY Bombadil was at fault. But the implication is strongly there, and many attorneys would love to handle the case.
In any of the cases above, was I using incompetent pejoratively? Of course not. The issue is competence or lack thereof. (The meaning of adding a suffix "in" to begin with.)
All that said, I've said all on the matter I intend to. It's become quite irrelevant, and we've gone far away from the thread's intent, so let's get back on track.
My goodness no.equate someone not being able to understand warning labels with someone who can't navigate through or around unnatural fog?
I still don't see any equivalence between aerosol spray cans and unfamiliar territory
My apologies. I was rather distracted and didn't read your post carefully enough. I actually was going to phrase the question in a passive tense, i.e. "Were the hobbits even warned about the fog?"My goodness no.
First, an issue there is there were no warning labels to train the people what they were not competent in. The suit was because the people felt there should have been, so they could, by the label, become 'competent'. (This of course assumes they would have read the labels to begin with, which is most questionable.) And, they hadn't trained themselves what it meant to have children, aerosols and fire, zip-up chairs, or heart attacks, etc. around. In every case they lacked training and education suitable to the circumstances they found themselves in. They were 'incompetent.'
ooooo ...."There's glory for you!"I have TOLD all the lawyer jokes. Try Humpty Dumpty: “When I use a word it means exactly what I want it to mean.” This is why statutory interpretation is so hard. It si virtually impossible to write something complex that cannot be misinterpreted. Ask any politician . They are misinterpreted all the time! Or not.
I agree with this. Wise and great as Gandalf and Elrond are they both decline the task. In the next chapter Gandalf doesn't have a plan beyond getting to Lorien (implied, not stated in The Ring Goes South). This might be a hint as to what happens to Gandalf in Moria; and istr Elrond cannot see much further what the plan should be. And Elrond and Gandalf - these are the powerful elite of Middle Earth.The simple answer is Frodo became a Ringbearer because Bilbo left the Ring to him.
That's solid droppings of the avian super-order fowl compared to "exponential leap" - every time a non-quantum-physicist uses the term I want to call in a thermonuclear carpet-bombing strike.It drives me to distraction when someone says [whatever] "increased exponentially", or there was an "exponential increase" in something.
Cuz it's a complicated fraction, what else? 😈(Nor would they understand a linear or geometric increase; most are flummoxed by mere fractions 🙄)
...
BTW.... how is it we never hear or read of an exponential decrease in something?
Oh that is excellent! Exponential gold stars for that. 😄That's solid droppings of the avian super-order fowl compared to "exponential leap" - every time a non-quantum-physicist uses the term I want to call in a thermonuclear carpet-bombing strike.
Cuz it's a complicated fraction, what else? 😈
🤣And it's a continuum, the extreme on one side being the near total incomprehensibility of those Quora questions that @Radaghast sadistically (and masochistically?) posts.
And the others to "see it" once he did.But everything was set in motion that would help give Frodo make the decision
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?