• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Aragorns real name?

LOL..... they are all his real names. His given name was Aragorn son of Arathorn II. Heir of Isildur. He was prophesied to be the Elfstone, the renewer and was named Estel (which is hope in the tongue of his people) as an alias while he lived in Elrond's house at Imladris while he matured to manhood. He was also called Strider and that became the name of his house when he ascended to the throne of Gondor and Arnor. He was called King Aragorn Telcontar (which is Strider in the high tongue.) He was called other names by other peoples but he was born as the child Aragorn.
 
Its not at all uncommon for people of High birth to have mutiple names. Look at Gandalf/Mithrander/Incanus. Or, for a more modern example. When King Edward abducated, it was his brother Duke Albert who became King George.

Funny lot that
RD
 
To quote the cop in the Man Who Knew Too Little (A Brittish cop with a great accent)... "I always wanted to do that..."

A different name for whoever you met.

It confused me a bit at first, but it helps in poetry because he has a name to rhyme with everything!!!
 
I thinks that's how he's called in Ghân-buri-Ghân's language.;)

Oh, and Elgee, I'm pretty sure that should be Thorongil.
 
Really? I heard he changed it when Butterbur joked about his real name (Trevor) once too often.. Sensitive chap, this Strider..
;)
 
Hey, Big D... Misspelling Tolkien names is my job. I'll never forget the Isulder show down... With Ourwen... Fraudo... Souran... Gandallf...
 
*gnaws the table, and tries to keep his left eye from popping out*
Gah, Elgee, you are a bane to nitpickers! :D
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top