• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Return of the King Reviews Thread

What did you think of RotK?

  • I am completely speechless due to its glory

    Votes: 54 37.2%
  • Extremely Impressive

    Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Great movie

    Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Alright, but not the best movie I've seen

    Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Boring

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Complete waste of my time and money

    Votes: 5 3.4%

  • Total voters
    145
Originally posted by Rhiannon
I thought it was awful. It didn't have the scope, it didn't have the majesty, it didn't have the sheer nobility portrayed by the book- it was a couple of dumb stunts and a lot of special effects. The most wrenching moments in the book came off as cheesy on the screen, largely because of the (I thought) filming, minor alterations of lines to make them sound 'modern' (gag), etc. It was most definitely not what I wanted to see- and I didn't even like it just as an action film. There is so much character development that's supposed to happen, and they traded it in for a few fight sequences that we could get for a dime a dozen in the action section of the video store. It was completely lacking in the kind of stuff that appeals to me, even apart from the alterations from the text.

So, in summary, I thought it sucked. But I looked awesome in my costume.

Oh I see! You must have read the book while you were watching the movie, so you not only missed the whole greatness because you were in your own little world, but also you were able to squeeze every little thing to complain about on this board!

I´m sick of hearing people complain about the differences and saying the film stinks, because that actually makes you believe it stinks. Which has nothing to do with the truth!

I just read OVER 200 REWIEWS ON THEONERING.NET WERE THEY GAVE IT A 5 CLAIMING IT`S THE BEST MOVIE OF THEIR LIVES, TAKING YOUR BREATH AWAY NOT ONLY ONE TIME AND YOU DON`T GET IT BACK UNTIL YOU`RE ON YOUR WAY HOME.:eek: :eek:

I honestly have just seen one movie more than once in the theatre and that was Titanic, but I believe that when I see ROTK I would like to see it atleast four times more on the big screen.
I didn´t felt like 'I want to see this again soon' when i saw TTT but now it´s my favourite film surpassing all others!(although the wargs looked unreal):D

Do I have too high expectations? Well It´s difficult not to think you´re gonna have a 200 minutes orgasm(really) when you read theonering.net rewiews, which I´m sure many of you here have written ;) :D

What I´m looking forward to seeing is the green light with the heavenly music(yes I have not read the final book:p ), Gandalf crying, fellowship revisiting Frodo in a dream(very homoerotic I´ve heard:D ), Galadriel giving Frodo a helping hand(it brought me to tears in the trailer) and what many seems to have mixed opinions about= The realization of the dead armies.
But how cool isn´t the battle at the Black gates?.;)
 
Rhi has her right to complain- since the movie didn't include Faramir/Eowyn scenes and didn't follow the Witch-King battle line by line, that's like a slap in her face! :D

I actually thought the battle betwixt the two was just as good as it was in the book.

But look at this quote I found in a review about TTT, it is HILARIOUS (and Madonna should enjoy it for its... erm... homoeroticism)
Speaking of those two, the subtext seems clear from the beginning, so how many watery looks, heaving bosoms and pregnant pauses between them until we “get it?” I began to think of Sauron’s flaming peeper as “Q-u-e-e-r Eye for the Hobbit Guy.” Or maybe that’s an angry v-a-g-i-n-a that all those burly warriors flee. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

EDIT: Im tired of these crazy censors... whats so wrong with anatomical terms?
 
Originally posted by Rhiannon
So, in summary, I thought it sucked. But I looked awesome in my costume.

I think this says it all, let me guess, you favorite movies of all time have to be the "Revenge of the Nerds" movies, right?
 
OMG!! how could you possibely say it sucked!! it was better than FOTR and TTT put together!! (IMO that is). I just thought the whole thing was completely wonderful. I can't wait to see it again.:D
 
Rhiannon

Some of the 200 equal rewiews I found at theonering.net:

Can't speak, I'm emotionally drained. The trilogy is complete and it's just the most mind-blowing experience ever.

Let’s face facts, folks: there has never been a third chapter to a movie trilogy that has fully delivered or satisfied the way it should have. Return of the Jedi was a good but soulless end to the original Star Wars trilogy, full of wooden acting, an overwhelming sense of trilogy déjà vu and Ewoks. Godfather Part III, also decent, was completely unnecessary, nowhere near as good as the first two and starred Sofia Coppola. The less said about the third parts of the Matrix, Alien and Back To The Future franchises, the better.

Eventually, someone had to break the curse, and it has finally happened. It brings me great pleasure to tell you, though it should come as no surprise to anyone who has seen the first two films, that Peter Jackson’s third and final entry in the Lord of the Rings saga, The Return of the King, is the film to break said nuisance. It’s a vital, exhilarating concluding chapter that successfully entertains and more than stands on its own merits. The New Zealand director has pulled out all the stops to deliver a bigger, darker, more emotionally resonant motion picture experience that is more satisfying than any fantasy film or second sequel that has come before it. And yes, that includes The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

-------------------

It's truly a masterpiece, Wondeful, Amazing, Breathtaking.
I think that the cast and crew of the trilogy has done it again and really its the best gift for Lord Of The Rings fans this crhistmas.

--------------------

After seeing so many other great movies, especially 'Fellowship' and 'Towers', I can say only one word to describe 'King': Perfect. Utterly, completely, and in every way the best and most outrageously stunning movie I have ever had the honor and the privilege to see. Though it doesn't follow the book to the letter (what movie does?) in ways I'll refrain from saying, as a movie, it kicks EVERYTHING out of the competition! I personally don't care for the 3hr 20min length of the film. It went by in an instant. I want to watch it again right now!

---------------------

Unbelievable. Awesome. Terrifyingly great. Wait...these descriptions of Peter Jackson's masterpiece are too inadequate. Frankly, I don't know how to sum up my reaction to ROTK in a single word, so I'll say this: I had tremendous expectations for this film, and they were all blown clear out of the water. This was the finale to end all finales.

Driving home from Trilogy Tuesday, I am still reeling somewhat from the experience. Trying to reflect on it here is hard, given that I'm now absorbing the entire trilogy as a single, completed work. And what a work it is. Believe me folks: nothing beats watching all 3 films back-to-back on the big screen. I feel as if I actually lived in Middle Earth for a day, and I'm having trouble re-connecting now to my real life. This is the same effect Tolkien's book had on me eighteen years ago when I first read it, and this is the first sign to me that Jackson and crew were more than successful in their goal to bring the spirit of the book to life.

Back to ROTK: the most amazing thing overall is how well PJ balanced the enormous scale of the battle sequences and special effects with the intimate, personal struggles of the individual characters. It's what I treasured so much in Fellowship, and it came full force here, as each one's story unfolds and then comes to a massive, gut-wrenching conclusion.

Indeed, even though these epic, eye-popping battle scenes were like nothing that's ever been done before on film (and I challenge anyone to ever top it), they didn't overwhelm the focus--which was Frodo and Sam and the destruction of the ring, mirrored in the destruction and then reclamation of their friendship. Unlike Fellowship and Two Towers, I was no longer distracted by the special effects and the technical wizardry of everything--because I was so confident, through having seen those first two films, that everything would be all right. And it was.

-------------------------------------

All I can say after seeing Return of the King is that Peter Jackson has done an incredible job.

I feel that the best way for me to review this movie is by trying to express what it did for me emotionally, rather than analyze its every component and break down the actors' performances.

I cannot describe what this movie did for my emotions. I was rediculously pleased with it yet I was so upset that the story has been fully told.

The actors' performances were all incredible, especially Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, and Sean Astin. The way their characters develop throughout this final installment...it's extremely powerful.

I was so moved by Frodo and Sam, Merry and Pippin, Eowyn and Theoden...by Faramir. My heart was literally surging with hope and happiness and breaking all at once. I spent the last hour with tears in my eyes...okay, who am I kidding; I was pretty choked up.
This was just such a bittersweet experience for me. I hold this story so deeply in my heart, and to see the culmination of Jackson's, the cast's, and the crew's blood, sweat and tears tonight set its place in my heart so much more.

Though the films do deviate from what Tolkien put on paper, I feel that they have held true to his vision as a whole.
I guarantee that if the story strikes the same chord in you that it does me, you will have left the theatre with the same feelings I did.

--------------------------------

This was the best movie i have ever had the pleasure of watching! I just witnessed a 12 hour triology and was blown away. People has there quips with the film being acurate to the book, but you cant have everything and i really feel that this far surpassed my expectations! Having read all the books i feel very conident in saying that i loved every bit of ROTK, as well as FOTR, and TT. These are my all time favorite movies and im a little sad that now i having to look forward to!

-----------------------------------

This was one of the most amazing movies i have EVER seen!! Liv Tyler wasn't kidding when she said that she cried during the last hour of the movie because I did the EXACT same thing, if not more, including on the drive home from the theater. Peter Jackson created one marvel after another in this movie from special effects, to the way the characters told their story!! PJ has truly created an 8th wonder of this world!! Everything in this movie was SO realistic. It was literally like nothing was fake and we were transported into a whole other world. The battle scenes were amazingly powerful, from Eyown saving her uncle on the battle field, to Gandalf telling Pippin about the journey after death inside the white city. One of my many favorite parts was when Gimli said to Legolas "I never thought I'd die beside an elf." And in return Legolas said to him "I like to think of it as dying beside a friend." When Aragorn said to the hobbits once he was crowned king that they should not be the ones bowing to him - and then Aragorn and every single person around them bowed to the 4 hobbits. WOW!! "Don't go where I can't follow." Every line in that movie is SOOO moving from beginning to end. I truly felt like I was a part of the journey in middle earth. The fellowship did not break either - you had Gimli and Legolas following Aragorn into the paths of the dead, you have Sam never leaving Frodo's side, you have Pippin finding Merry in the battlefield telling him "I'm going to watch over you now." And in the end, you have everyone reuniting once again. Words can't describe the way I felt when Frodo saw Gandalf for the first time after waking up in the end. Just like words can't describe this movie. No words could ever describe it - it's more of a feeling than anything, and once you see the movie, if you haven't already, you will understand what I mean. Although this may be the final epic of the movie It will never disappear.

-----------------------------------------

I am broken. Not since Requiem for a Dream has a movie so utterly consumed me and destroyed me.

But this time, it's even better. I'm a film fan. I've seen plenty of the greats. Perfect films...Godfather Part I, Casablanca, Fight Club, Rushmore, Empire Strikes Back.

This trumps them all.

ROTK is a mighty wind. It lifts you up, breaks you apart, and then leaves you wondering what just happened. Leaves you wondering if you can possibly comprehend what you just saw.

Categorically the finest motion picture ever made.

Ever.

----------------------------------------

My closest friend was with me when I saw the movie Tuesday at midnight. We waited for three hours in line getting more pumped up by the minute. My expectations going in were completely different from my reaction as the final credits left the screen.

I have never been so moved by anything else in my entire life. The Battle of the Pellenor Fields was certainly amazing, as were the other big money scenes in the film, but they were vastly overshadowed by the characters and emotions in this movie. I was sobbing like a baby during much of the latter part of the film. When Frodo tells Sam to go home, when Sam picks Frodo up and continues on, when all of Minas Tirith bows to the four Shire companions. It is simply overwhelming.

My companion and I were completely speechless and parted ways speechless as we could not put into words the emotions that this movie made us feel. I would love to thanks Peter Jackson personally and shake his hand. This film is truly a magnificent achievment and will never be equaled.


----------------------------
-----------------------------

There you have it folks.
The film seem to be as perfect as any film can be
----------------------------
------------------
 
I haven't seen the film, YET... but from what I heard from friends who have, I believe it is awesome to an extent surpassing my expectations, which is very hard to surpass by the way.

I do understand that there were changes made - but if PJ was able to pull that off without the film looking underdone or overdone - then by the valar - he has my nod!!!
 
It's true, it thought it would be GREAT! ... i was wrong....IT WAS SOOOO TOTALLY AWSOME!!!, way beyond what i had hoped it would be.
 
It was a great film, but reviews from a Tolkien-based fan site are not the most unbiased of reviews.
 
The Eye of Sauron was soo freakin cheesy!! I burst out laughing when that thing started darting around looking for stuff, and made comments like "I can't find my keys!" And "Where's my Contact?!". The movie had it's high points but overall it was just like lame. The Battle of Pelanor Fields was uh, how can I say this, cheap, it was nothing like the grand fight that it is in the books. As far as the movies go I prefer FotR over TTT and RotK.


~MacAddict
 
Originally posted by Madonna Baggins
Oh I see! You must have read the book while you were watching the movie, so you not only missed the whole greatness because you were in your own little world, but also you were able to squeeze every little thing to complain about on this board!

I´m sick of hearing people complain about the differences and saying the film stinks, because that actually makes you believe it stinks. Which has nothing to do with the truth!

O Gigantic-Titanic-fanatic,

I guess we all get sick of things at these forums from time to time. I can relate to that. For example, one thing that I get sick of is hearing people say that anyone who doesn't like or even love these movies has something wrong with them, or is doing something wrong. It's indicative of denial really. Inablity to accept that the films could be short of perfect in the eyes of others.
 
The Return of the King Reviews

I was just thinking, perhaps there should be a stickied thread like the one in Two Towers for all ( potentially spoilerish or not ) reviews of Return of the King?

I haven't seen Return of the King yet, by the way, but by what I've read so far ( apart from all the spoiler filled reviews, which I've tried to avoid ), it sounds pretty awesome...
 
Well, it's over....

For better or for worse, the trilogy is over. Like it, love it, dislike it, despise it, hate it, it has finally come to an end.

Honestly, after I saw the movie I was at a loss. Everything had concluded, everything was over. Some of the people I watched the movie with were in tears (cue floodgates.) So yea.......

For those of you who have yet to see the movie, I warn you, DO NOT START CLAPPING UNTIL THE WORDS "THE END" APPEAR ON SCREEN!

And if you have any queries regarding the movie, I'll answer them as best I can while concealing the good stuff.

Otherwise, this post was just meant to say, "I have seen the movie, and it was moving."
 
Re: I feel sorry for book fans that hate these movies...

Originally posted by Morvran
I really do. I wish you could feel like I do. I am someone who has read the books too many times to count. I am someone who loved the cartoon-movie as a kid, and always wanted to see these books made into a real movie.

I love these movies. I am thankful for what Jackson did by bringing these to the silver screen. I don't think it could have been done better.

I think a literal translation of the books onto film would have been horrible (not to mention impossible).

I have plenty of issues with the movies as they pertain to characters and plot...but I am able to accept the issues as a difference in opinion and interpretation. And most of my issues lie within the TT to be honest.

For those of you who are fans of the books, or fans of Tolkien, who hate these movies, I truly do feel sorry for you. I am sorry that you cannot get the joy out of these movies that I do.

You my friend are hereby knighted into the grandios society of FADhood. Couldnt have said it better myself. Your words reflect one of the main principals of FADship. Welcome.

One exception..........concerning a quote from Morvran....

Before a purist attacks me, this FAD (and most) does think Jackson could have done better, but he didnt BUT I will get over it and live with it.
 
Wow- I loved Fellowship, and greatly enjoyed many of the parts of Two Towers. Neither of those came close to Return of the King. I don't recall ever crying in a theater before, but I did so twice here (and felt like doing so many other times!). I watched the entire credits listening to the (grown) man behind me absolutely blubbering like a baby.
There really is no way I can describe what I fealt leaving the theater. I guess I can try by repeating what many here have already said- the exact bittersweet feeling one gets from finishing the books, the feeling of having experienced something so beautiful that it is actually painful when it ends. There is also the melancholic realization that next Christmas there will be no Lord of the Rings film to look forward to. But of course, all the feelings of sadness only validate what a wonderful experience it was.
Perhaps the best way to describe the effect on me is the following: Veteran of these boards that I am, I was actually convinced that no Tolkien-reading person could possibly not love this movie- not joxy, not Mrs. Maggot, not Thorin. Rhiannon and Talierin have squashed that ridiculous little bit of idealism, but I still have hope for the above mentioned three!!
 
So, in summary, I thought it sucked. But I looked awesome in my costume.

I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Look at the bright side, Rhi:

You can always work on your homework instead of going to see ROTK again.

:D

I do agree with you on Denethor on the pyre.
When he went off the cliff in a flame, I thought I was watching a car chase movie & burst out laughing.

I liked it alot though.
Much moreso than TTT.

I thought a few things could be changed, like Frodo telling Sam to get lost.
Of course, the Arwen stuff.......
But, we FINALLY got to see Elrond the Grouch smile.

But, if you want an exact copy of the books, read the books.

The battle of Pelanor Fields was great, as was Shelob.
I could've used a little more of Sam & Frodo going through Mordor, but I understand what PJ was doing in terms of moving the story along towards a climax.

Someone said this movie works better as a 'stand alone movie' than the other two.
That's absurd.
It's all one big story.
None of the 3 can stand alone.


I'd rate them like this:

FOTR ****
TTT ***
ROTK ****

Now, bring on the rumored Hobbit movie.
:cool:
 
So what did everyone think?

So what do those of you who have seen it think? I saw it an hour or so ago and I thought it was amazing. Really well put together battle sequences and i thought Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with the look of the city of Minas Tirith. My hat is off to him in that area; the plot is another story, but change is inevitable. Oh well. Great Movie, a tad long, but great movie nonetheless!
 
Rhiannon,

After that review, I would be convinced that your ability to view anything in your life without dissaproval has been taken away from you. Here is a half-empty glass of milk that you can enjoy while you wear your awesome costume.
 
Hey, enough with the snide remarks. Just because someone doesn't like the movie doesn't mean you have to be rude about it. It's just a bloody movie after all.

I don't really know why I didn't like it, I just didn't... In fact after Eowyn's big scene it was all I could do to sit there in horrified silence, which is extremely unusual for me.... *shrugs* Oh well, whatever, still got the books and my imagination
 
Back
Top