Ancalagon
Quality, not Quantity!
- Joined
- Aug 20, 2001
- Messages
- 1,778
I have added this discussion between Maedhros and myself on Messenger, in the hope that other members may wish to add comment or cast aspersions upon our standpoints. Alternatively, you may find it all rather dull and uninteresting and ask yourself why we did not spend our Saturday evenings doing more fun things
Personally, I can't think of anything else I would rather have been doing at the time!!!
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I will tell you, I have just read through all of Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth
over the last few hours, what an absolutely fabulous and intense conversation
Maedhros says:
Yes it was
Maedhros says:
It brings points that remained away from the Silmarillion
AncalagonTheBlack says:
It does, it opens up a totally new vision of the understanding of mortality, both to Andreth and Finrod
Maedhros says:
Interesting belief that men had
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Well, I was considering asking the question; what did Morgoth do or say to Men in the beginning?
Maedhros says:
Deceive them
AncalagonTheBlack says:
With what?
Maedhros says:
False promises
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But they already knew in their hearts they were Children of a greater God,
Maedhros says:
In their hearts only
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Yes
Maedhros says:
I would venture to say that in the beginning
Maedhros says:
The lies of Melkor were very provoking to men
Maedhros says:
Advantageous if you will
AncalagonTheBlack says:
True, he held much in dominion over their will, but not enough that they desired to pursue their own lands, away from his domain
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Thus they met with the Eldar, a chance meeting.........not at all!
Maedhros says:
Ok
Maedhros says:
In a way it's sad that they were left alone
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I agree entirely, I think the role of the Valar in their case was utterly deplorable
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I do not think there can be any justification for their actions
Maedhros says:
I think that Manwë really blew it
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Have you read the Converse of Manwë and Eru, Appendix?
Maedhros says:
Yes
Maedhros says:
Ilúvatar said to Manwë that he had failed to act in time
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Is he above making an error, even though he is the greatest offshoot of the mind or Eru?
Maedhros says:
No, only Ilúvatar is flawless
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Exactly, but flawed decisions have such impact upon the weak
Maedhros says:
I am usually very hard on Manwë
Maedhros says:
But I’m beginning to change my mind
AncalagonTheBlack says:
This part struck me most in the discussion
AncalagonTheBlack says:
‘Then Andreth being urged by Finrod said at last: 'This is the tale that Adanel of the House of Hador told to me.
Some say the Disaster happened at the beginning of the history of our people, before any had yet died. The Voice had spoken to us, and we had listened. The Voice said: 'Ye are my children. I have sent you to dwell here. In time ye will inherit all this Earth, but first ye must be children and learn. Call on me and I shall hear; for I am watching over you.'
Maedhros says:
Very interesting
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But we were in haste, and we desired to order things to our will; and the shapes of many things that we wished to make awoke in our minds. Therefore we spoke less and less to the Voice.
AncalagonTheBlack says:
This seems to indicate, that even before the interjection of Melkor, they had already detached
AncalagonTheBlack says:
At least begun to
Maedhros says:
In the beginning things are difficult
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I think that there is a modicum of guilt in this, that the Wise would sooner blame the Unnamed One for their death, rather than their desire to 'go it alone' without the guidance of Eru
AncalagonTheBlack says:
That is why she was reluctant to discuss their past history with Finrod
Maedhros says:
Not their past history
Maedhros says:
Past myths
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Yet, always blaming it on 'the shadow'
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But were does myth start and truth end?
AncalagonTheBlack says:
It is still in their lore, of which she was wise
Maedhros says:
There is a glimpse of truth in all myths
AncalagonTheBlack says:
There is more to this passage than meets the eye, methinks
Maedhros says:
Yet, it cannot be considered canon
AncalagonTheBlack says:
What can? Even the Silmarillion in its entirety is somewhat debatable
AncalagonTheBlack says:
The discussion, left out of the Sil, but very much Tolkiens own leanings on the matter, must be considered canon
Maedhros says:
It can't be considered canon because it's a conversation between an elf and a women
Maedhros says:
They had their suspicions, but they are not necessarily truth
Maedhros says:
Close but not a certainty
Maedhros says:
Like for example Treebeard
Maedhros says:
He speaks in lotr but he is not one of the wise
Maedhros says:
As noted in the letters
Maedhros says:
And lotr is canon
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But there is one truth that Finrod speaks off in this discussion, that both he and she were brought together to realize a truth, neither had understood.... hope!
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I feel that Eru himself was Tolkien’s medium in this debate
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Fated, a discussion that happens to which many truths are realized
Maedhros says:
Truths only from the side of Finrod
Maedhros says:
Belief on the side of Andreth
End of Part One
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I will tell you, I have just read through all of Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth
over the last few hours, what an absolutely fabulous and intense conversation
Maedhros says:
Yes it was
Maedhros says:
It brings points that remained away from the Silmarillion
AncalagonTheBlack says:
It does, it opens up a totally new vision of the understanding of mortality, both to Andreth and Finrod
Maedhros says:
Interesting belief that men had
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Well, I was considering asking the question; what did Morgoth do or say to Men in the beginning?
Maedhros says:
Deceive them
AncalagonTheBlack says:
With what?
Maedhros says:
False promises
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But they already knew in their hearts they were Children of a greater God,
Maedhros says:
In their hearts only
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Yes
Maedhros says:
I would venture to say that in the beginning
Maedhros says:
The lies of Melkor were very provoking to men
Maedhros says:
Advantageous if you will
AncalagonTheBlack says:
True, he held much in dominion over their will, but not enough that they desired to pursue their own lands, away from his domain
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Thus they met with the Eldar, a chance meeting.........not at all!
Maedhros says:
Ok
Maedhros says:
In a way it's sad that they were left alone
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I agree entirely, I think the role of the Valar in their case was utterly deplorable
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I do not think there can be any justification for their actions
Maedhros says:
I think that Manwë really blew it
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Have you read the Converse of Manwë and Eru, Appendix?
Maedhros says:
Yes
Maedhros says:
Ilúvatar said to Manwë that he had failed to act in time
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Is he above making an error, even though he is the greatest offshoot of the mind or Eru?
Maedhros says:
No, only Ilúvatar is flawless
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Exactly, but flawed decisions have such impact upon the weak
Maedhros says:
I am usually very hard on Manwë
Maedhros says:
But I’m beginning to change my mind
AncalagonTheBlack says:
This part struck me most in the discussion
AncalagonTheBlack says:
‘Then Andreth being urged by Finrod said at last: 'This is the tale that Adanel of the House of Hador told to me.
Some say the Disaster happened at the beginning of the history of our people, before any had yet died. The Voice had spoken to us, and we had listened. The Voice said: 'Ye are my children. I have sent you to dwell here. In time ye will inherit all this Earth, but first ye must be children and learn. Call on me and I shall hear; for I am watching over you.'
Maedhros says:
Very interesting
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But we were in haste, and we desired to order things to our will; and the shapes of many things that we wished to make awoke in our minds. Therefore we spoke less and less to the Voice.
AncalagonTheBlack says:
This seems to indicate, that even before the interjection of Melkor, they had already detached
AncalagonTheBlack says:
At least begun to
Maedhros says:
In the beginning things are difficult
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I think that there is a modicum of guilt in this, that the Wise would sooner blame the Unnamed One for their death, rather than their desire to 'go it alone' without the guidance of Eru
AncalagonTheBlack says:
That is why she was reluctant to discuss their past history with Finrod
Maedhros says:
Not their past history
Maedhros says:
Past myths
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Yet, always blaming it on 'the shadow'
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But were does myth start and truth end?
AncalagonTheBlack says:
It is still in their lore, of which she was wise
Maedhros says:
There is a glimpse of truth in all myths
AncalagonTheBlack says:
There is more to this passage than meets the eye, methinks
Maedhros says:
Yet, it cannot be considered canon
AncalagonTheBlack says:
What can? Even the Silmarillion in its entirety is somewhat debatable
AncalagonTheBlack says:
The discussion, left out of the Sil, but very much Tolkiens own leanings on the matter, must be considered canon
Maedhros says:
It can't be considered canon because it's a conversation between an elf and a women
Maedhros says:
They had their suspicions, but they are not necessarily truth
Maedhros says:
Close but not a certainty
Maedhros says:
Like for example Treebeard
Maedhros says:
He speaks in lotr but he is not one of the wise
Maedhros says:
As noted in the letters
Maedhros says:
And lotr is canon
AncalagonTheBlack says:
But there is one truth that Finrod speaks off in this discussion, that both he and she were brought together to realize a truth, neither had understood.... hope!
AncalagonTheBlack says:
I feel that Eru himself was Tolkien’s medium in this debate
AncalagonTheBlack says:
Fated, a discussion that happens to which many truths are realized
Maedhros says:
Truths only from the side of Finrod
Maedhros says:
Belief on the side of Andreth
End of Part One
Last edited:

