Well, now that I have your attention I would like to issue my own challenge. There has been much debate on these boards regarding whether or not Peter Jackson's addaptation has accurately portrayed the characters of Middle Earth as they were penned by Tolkien. The quote which Greymantle has placed in his signature has frequently been used to illustrate the single largest objection that many who populate these boards have to the Film. What bothers me about this is that it is often (not always) used as a blanket statement referring to all the characters in the movie, with very few specifics given. I (and especially others) have gone through some pains to quote extensively from the book in defense of Peter Jackson's interpretations of the major characters. In some cases our work has been acknowledged- i.e., 'Peter did some funky stuff that isn't how I saw it, but having looked at what Tolkien wrote, maybe it could have been interpreted that way.' In some cases our defenses have been debated, sometimes with a resolution, often-times without. But what is distressing is that in many cases our arguments have been completely ignored, and I find that after spending several hours looking through the books and then typing the relevant material in a post, someone else two posts later makes the same offending remark about characterization without even addressing the counter-argument.
I propose that we (the collective members of the forum) use this thread to discuss when characters in the movie have been (perhaps loosely) interpreted from the book, and when PJ has horribly misrepresented the characters of Tolkien. The point of debate is whether the characters are the result of plausible interpretations from what Tolkien has penned, not whether PJ portrays the characters exactly as we interpreted them, or even whether he portrayed them as Tolkien intended them to be. To hammer in the point, here is what Tolkien himself stated (in the context of addressing another screen adaptation in no way related to that of Mr. Jackson's):
"I do earnestly hope that in the assignment of actual speeches to the characters they will be represented as I have presented them: in style and sentiment." (Borrowed from Greymantle's sig)
Some rules that I would ask posters to follow, though I have no power to enforce them:
1) Address specifics of the characters as portrayed in the movie, i.e., 'Arwen should not be waving a sword', or 'Arwen's lips should not appear to be borrowed from Julia Roberts' rather than 'Arwen was wrong in the movie.'
2) Please, no offensive remarks regarding fellow posters. I'm pretty sure that this is a rule of the forum, but I'd like to make special mention just so that it is fresh in our minds. In fact, I'd like people to refrain from addressing each-other at all, except for clarification purposes when responding to a previous post. I would also like posters to abstain from using the terms NPW, FAD, newbie, and purist, when possible.
Some notes on how I plan to defend the movie:
1) Tolkien's works are ones of the imagination. I hardly think it is fair for us to enjoy such an imaginitive piece of literature, and then insist on the most narrow possible interpretations of the movie. To illustrate this, I will point out that many members of these boards seem to think that movie-Aragorn spent the time from Bree to Weathertop toting around four hobbit-sized swords, when he just as easily could have discovered them at Weathertop. All of us here have the imaginitive power to realize that events could have happened beyond what was given screen time. Because of this, I may ask us all to give PJ a little faith and imagine a little. Of course any of you can refuse to do this, and then I will violate my own rule #2 above and claim that you are unimiganitive.
2) I (and especially others) have spent a lot of time addressing these issues in previous posts. If I feel that any issue has been properly addressed elsewhere, I will respond with a link to that post. Others are invited to do this as well.
3) All debate on the degree to which Saruman is being controlled by Sauron will be met with 'Wait until the next movie'. Of course, that is my mantra, others may reply as they see fit.
I propose that we (the collective members of the forum) use this thread to discuss when characters in the movie have been (perhaps loosely) interpreted from the book, and when PJ has horribly misrepresented the characters of Tolkien. The point of debate is whether the characters are the result of plausible interpretations from what Tolkien has penned, not whether PJ portrays the characters exactly as we interpreted them, or even whether he portrayed them as Tolkien intended them to be. To hammer in the point, here is what Tolkien himself stated (in the context of addressing another screen adaptation in no way related to that of Mr. Jackson's):
"I do earnestly hope that in the assignment of actual speeches to the characters they will be represented as I have presented them: in style and sentiment." (Borrowed from Greymantle's sig)
Some rules that I would ask posters to follow, though I have no power to enforce them:
1) Address specifics of the characters as portrayed in the movie, i.e., 'Arwen should not be waving a sword', or 'Arwen's lips should not appear to be borrowed from Julia Roberts' rather than 'Arwen was wrong in the movie.'
2) Please, no offensive remarks regarding fellow posters. I'm pretty sure that this is a rule of the forum, but I'd like to make special mention just so that it is fresh in our minds. In fact, I'd like people to refrain from addressing each-other at all, except for clarification purposes when responding to a previous post. I would also like posters to abstain from using the terms NPW, FAD, newbie, and purist, when possible.
Some notes on how I plan to defend the movie:
1) Tolkien's works are ones of the imagination. I hardly think it is fair for us to enjoy such an imaginitive piece of literature, and then insist on the most narrow possible interpretations of the movie. To illustrate this, I will point out that many members of these boards seem to think that movie-Aragorn spent the time from Bree to Weathertop toting around four hobbit-sized swords, when he just as easily could have discovered them at Weathertop. All of us here have the imaginitive power to realize that events could have happened beyond what was given screen time. Because of this, I may ask us all to give PJ a little faith and imagine a little. Of course any of you can refuse to do this, and then I will violate my own rule #2 above and claim that you are unimiganitive.
2) I (and especially others) have spent a lot of time addressing these issues in previous posts. If I feel that any issue has been properly addressed elsewhere, I will respond with a link to that post. Others are invited to do this as well.
3) All debate on the degree to which Saruman is being controlled by Sauron will be met with 'Wait until the next movie'. Of course, that is my mantra, others may reply as they see fit.
