Returning to the great hall, Tinnuel took off her son's robe and passed it to him.
"I'll be joining your father now. Go and find your cousin."
Oropher nodded with a smile.
"See you at dinner."
Tinnuel stroke his cheek and left without another word, joining her husband and brother in law who were standing beside their king.
Finding
Lúthien was never hard. Her striking figure and beauty aside,she tend to glow much more than any of them, except her own father perhaps. A living lantern, Oropher liked to call her.
"What did your mother want to talk about?"
She whispered in his ear the moment she felt his presence next to her.
"You won't believe it."
She smiled.
"Try me."
"Guess who has asked my mother to arrange a date for us?"
He said, partly annoyed and partly amused. Not by the actions of his admirer of course,as he himself had not been that different when he was her age so that would make him a hypocrite. But how this simple problem had gotten so out of hand,his mother was now involved in it as well.
"You are kidding right?"
"Na-ah. Telling the truth. My mother must like her a lot because she actually insisted that I change my mind about this."
"Your mother likes everyone."
"Not enough to want them as a daughter in law."
"Why are you so calm about this all of a sudden?"
"It's the shock. Let it wear out and then i'll panic about it gladly."
"Just make sure I'm there to witness it."
Lúthien hid her laugh with her palm as Oropher shoved her lightly.
"You are really mean."
"I'm not mean!"
"Yes you are!"
Somehow, their little banter had him in a better mood already.
Before Lúthien could come up with a retort though,her father's voice made them both look at him.
"Good people,my Lords and ladies,I welcome and thank you all once again for gathering here with us to celebrate another prosperous autumn by the grace of
Eru Illuvatar and the
Valar.
And a big thanks to my nephew,prince Gilornion who was
the one responsible for organizing this grand feast!"
Everyone cheered and Gilornion smiled towards his uncle and bowed his head in thanks.
The sound of queen's silvery voice silenced the people.
"This day marks yet another year since by the grace of the Valar and Eru,we experience peace and prosperity. Something your ancestors were all deprived of under the reign of the
Dark Lord.
We may not live under the light of the two
trees,but the radiance of Gilthoniel's stars have ever been our guide in this darkness.
We may not live under the shades of great beeches of
Valinor,but lady Kementari has ever looked over us and blessed our kingdom so we can live forever in this abundance."
Oropher's mind drowned out the rest of queen's words which seemed to be praises to lord
Ulmo as his eyes came upon the scene in front of him.
There stood His little brother with a lady holding his arm. That was not of his concern. Amdir may not be an adult yet but he was no elfling either,so he could do what he wished. Oropher was not his parent.
What alarmed him was the person whom he had with him.
Maeril stood there beside Amdir as they both listened to the speech of the queen, the two of them completely immersed in her words as she continued with her prayers.
Oropher nudged Lúthien slightly, subtly pointing at them.
Lúthien, confused at first,looked at him.
But as she followed the direction he was gazing at, frowned.
"What is she up to? Hadn't she just asked your mother to talk with you? And didn't she want to ask you to be her partner?"
She whispered.
Oropher shook his head slightly.
"I do not know either. But I worry for my brother."
He didn't want to assume the worst about her,but the circumstances didn't allow Oropher to come to any conclusion but the fact that Maeril was somehow using his brother to get to him.
Unless, Amdir had confessed to her? Thinking, this made things even worse.
If not for his mother's words, Oropher would have thought himself to be wrong in assuming she held any feelings for him. But now,he couldn't find any excuses for her actions.
He sighed. He should have talked to her. He should have. If Amdir ended up heartbroken in between this,it would be all his fault. It was ironic really. He had been trying so much to make sure this wouldn't happen and yet somehow, although unknowingly,he might as well be the cause of it.
"What are you going to do then? You can't just go tell Amdir about all of this! It will break his heart!"
Lúthien asked him,as if he knew.
Oropher was silent for a few seconds but when he spoke,the frustration could be heard in his voice.
"Do you think I Don't know this myself? May-maybe I can ask Calemiriel to talk with Mae-"
"Oh for Eru's sake! Can't you just man up and talk to her yourself? What she is doing involving Amdir into this is wrong. But she is barely out of childhood. She isn't going to let go of this if she didn't hear the words coming out of your own mouth. And I can't stress this enough. You.have.to.use.words."
Oropher sighed but nodded. Lúthien was right,as always.
"I'll do it. give me at least some time to organize my thoughts. I promise I'll speak with her after dinner is served."
Lúthien gave him a look of approval and patted his arm to offer some comfort.
He leaned into her touch,her calming presence reducing his distress a bit.
It was at that moment when people started cheering, and Oropher realized the speech had ended and the bell signaling dinner was ringing.
They both shared a guilty look because they had been so busy whispering to each other they had ceased to pay attention to the carefully crafted words their monarchs had probably spent days perfecting.
"Oropher! Lúthien!"
Celeborn called out to them cheerfully, making his way towards them.
Oropher took a step towards him,a greeting on his lips before he was crushed in his cousin's embrace.
"You little brat! Not even coming to greet me after being in the
city for two days?!"
"I...had things...responsi- Celeborn I can't breathe!"
With this his cousin let go of him, taking a step back and holding his arms, looking at him.
"Don't you look handsome? Who are trying to impress?"
Oropher rolled his eyes but his smile didn't drop. Even though Celeborn was much older than him,they were still each other's best friends. Galathil, Lúthien and Calemiriel were all from the same generation of Egladorian
elves and therefore,shared a bond none of the understood. Oropher though, thought he and Celeborn were just as close as those three,if not even closer. Celeborn could understand him like no other did.
So he was not surprised that even now,he had somehow sensed his anxiousness just by looking at him because his eyebrows furrowed as he shook his head slightly in question.
Galathil's presence saved him from answering (for then) as he,had finished talking with Lúthien, came forward and grasped his arm in a warrior salute,face emotionless, before grinning slowly and pulling him for a hug, just as fierce as his brother's.
"Had fun running around the kingdom? leaving me to do your work for you?"
"
You did my work for me? then how come I've been slaving away in my office these last two days going through reports?"
"Don't talk back to your superior officer!"
"You're not my superior anymore!"
"Well then don't talk back to your elder cousin!"
"As much as I despise to interrupt this... insightful conversation,I believe they are awaiting us at the high table."
Celeborn said with his "council-man" tone,like the times he tried to tell some of his rather hot-headed colleagues to shut up.
Oropher did not appreciate it.
And sure enough, their parents all were looking at them, amused yet exasperated.
Galathil and him shared a sheepish look.
Lúthien came forward and got hold of his arm again before Celeborn said.
"Dear princess,do you mind if I walk with my cousin to the table? we have so much to catch up to it seems."
Before Lúthien could answer though, Oropher shook his head in mock disappointment.
"Do you not have manners Celeborn? I have to escort the lady to her seat. Truly disappointing."
Instead of being insulted though,like Oropher had hoped, Celeborn kept watching him with the same concerned look on his face before sighing an giving up. With a smile,he responded.
"Ah of course! Don't let me delay you anymore then. Go ahead."
"He isn't not fooled. Just so you know."
Lúthien whispered to him as they walked ahead,with their cousins following closely.
"I do know. And I will expect a thorough interrogation very soon."
reaching the table,he smiled back to his uncle as he greeted him.
"hello nephew. I believe you have enjoyed your return immensely. How are the reports coming on?"
"Finished them all and you can expect the briefing to be ready by tomorrow."
"Well ...that was faster than I had expected. Good to know."
The shock was evident on his uncle's face and Oropher couldn't blame him.
It wasn't that he didn't enjoy writing,but paperwork and formal letters in general bore him to death and he could never finish them without a great deal of procrastinating and whining.
So to had finished two month worth of them in two days was definitely a new record for him.
Bowing to the rest of his family present,he finally sat down with Lúthien to his right and Celeborn on his left.
Galathil too moved around the table to take his seat beside his father.
The only empty seats remaining were his grandfather's(who Oropher came to know had yet to return from
Ossiriand) on the king's left side and also Amdir's and his partner.
His smile vanished from his face as he saw his brother and Maeril approaching the table, Amdir trying his best to grab her attention and Maeril barely noticing it. It was painful to watch.
Amdir's eyes lit up as they fell on him before he speed-walked( he would have ran if there were not so many people there ) and practically jumped into his arms.
"Brother! It's been so long! I have missed you!"
Came Amdir's enthusiastic voice as he crushed him in his arms.
he has grown so much
That was the first thing he thought of as he embraced his brother just as tightly.
Amdir had a couple of decades before reaching his majority yet he was already taller than him.
Oropher wasn't by any means a short ellon compared to the rest of the population of
Menegroth and
Eglador.
Yes, he could barely see Celeborn and Galathil in the eyes but he was sure Amdir would grow to be the tallest of the king's grandnephews.
He mused as he ruffled Amdir's hair.
"As have I penneth! Or should I even be calling you that for you have outgrown me already! What does mother feed you?"
"Mother does not even have the time to eat anything herself! Why would you think she'd cook for me? Not that anyone can eat anything she cooks anyway.."
He whispered,low enough so they were the only ones who could hear it.
They both snickered, parting slowly and it was only then that Amdir realized he had left Maeril and forgotten about her completely.
The said elleth was standing awkwardly a few feet away from the table, unsure of what to do.
Amdir walked towards her, an apology already on his lips.
Calemiriel's eyes widened slowly before she schooled her features and glanced at him questionably.
Oropher could only grimace as he mouthed a
later to her.
She was not pleased but dropped the subject.
Tinnuel, on the other hand, was rightfully shocked. For there stood her apprentice whom had recently told her of her affections for Tinnuel's eldest son,but she had attended the feast with her youngest.
She watched with a frown as Amdir and Maeril finally took their seats but as she went to open her mouth Gilornion subtly nudged her arm and shook his head.
She was as unhappy as her daughter about this situation but could only huff and watch silently as the servants brought the
food.
Thankfully it did not take long for the food to be served.
The table was swiftly filled with different varieties of meat and roasted vegetables and the smell of sweet corn breads filled the air. But Oropher, thinking of what he had promised to do after dinner, could only fill his goblet and nurse the wine he was so looking forward too, appetite all gone.
"Is everything alright my son? You've barely touched anything."
His father's worried voice snapped him out of his thoughts, before he quickly shook his head.
"No father. everything is perfect. I am simply full at the moment. I had something to snack on while I was working at my office earlier."
Gilornion though, didn't buy his lie and continued watching him, looking troubled and Oropher noticed his father hadn't asked about the food,but him.
Thankfully,he didn't take it any further and went back to his own food,still troubled.
Just to keep the rest from picking up where his father had left,he reached for one of the dishes and barely paying attention to it's content,he served himself some of it.
"It's not nice to play with your food,is it?"
Celeborn whispered from beside him without looking up from his own plate.
"What do you mean?"
"Oropher,you hate roasted mushrooms."
"I know?... What are you talking about?"
"Then why is your plate full of them?"
He looked down at his plate and sure enough,he had filled it with the only food he probably hated. He sighed. So much for keeping quiet.
He subtly pushed it towards his cousin who swapped their plates immediately,not needed to be asked.
"Why are you so nervous?"
Celeborn asked teasingly,only half-joking.
"Can't tell."
"Why?"
"c
Can't tell you...now. but later. After the feast. I will then."
"Alright. But it's not something serious,right?"
Oropher smiled despite himself,his heart warmed.
"No..no it's not."
Well...not life threateningly serious but enough to give him anxiety and deprive him of the joy of celebrations.
What was he going to tell her? From what he had come to know of her,she was not one to give up with things like "You are too young for me" or "I don't hold you in that regard" and would try to persuade him.
Her stubbornness and determination would have been a quality he admired,if she was anyone else. Someone he was attracted too. But the moment he found out about his brother's feelings for her,he just couldn't simply picture her as someone he could marry and fall in love with.
At her lowest,she was just a noble lady,a friend of his mother. At her highest,she could only be a law sister to him one day. Nothing more.
He couldn't and wouldn't tell her this though in case he was wrong in his assumptions about Amdir having confessed to her. He would never betray his brother's trust like that.
His string of thoughts was torn when Calemiriel spoke.
"So... lady Maeril...am I right? How did come to know my brother? I had not expected Amdir to bring anyone with him to the feast. Let alone a romantic partner."
Oropher's eyes became round as he watched his sister with his mouth hanging open.
The question had been asked with such subtlety,even he had a hard time reading in between the lines for the intention behind her words and to any other listener, Calemiriel was just being a big sister,if not a bit protective.
"w-we're not ... together...like that ... just friends..."
Amdir answered hesitantly, blushing helplessly and glaring at their sister and Maeril didn't fare any better.
"Ah I see. You have a great taste in choosing your friends then little brother. I have heard many great things about you from my mother my lady.
I am happy we finally got the chance to meet."
Calemir smiled sweetly,not looking like the interrogater she was just a few seconds ago.
"As...as am I princess. Your mother has told me a great deal about you as well."
"All good things I hope."
"O-Of course!"
Oropher drowned out the rest of pleasantries (he was never a fan of them) and focused on the information Amdir gave them unknowingly.
He breathed a sigh of relief. So she was not using Amdir after all.
Once the realization hit him though,he was filled with shame. He had already held her guilty of something he was not completely sure about.
One look at his mother was enough to tell him she was feeling the same.
He felt bad for Tinnuel. Unlike him, she had to deal with her apprentice on a daily basis and knowing his mother,this was going to eat at her until she finally confessed to Maeril and apologized. He just hoped Maeril would forgive her.
"We judged her too soon didn't we?"
He asked Lúthien who nodded, feeling guilty as well.
"We did...the circumstances were such that we... it's not an excuse though."
He smiled at Celeborn who having heard their conversation,was looking at them curiously.
"Part of the stuff we're going to talk about later."
He nodded, unhappy about not being included in secrets but thankfully, didn't ask anything more.
The rest of the dinner went on with him panicking a bit more and surprisingly, Calemiriel and Maeril ending up talking much more than her and Amdir, which by looking at his face,his brother was not happy about it at all.
The time for his conversation with Maeril had come much faster than he wanted but he had to do it or would end up backing out again.
"Can you distract Amdir a bit here?"
He turned to Celeborn as they both got up from their chairs,eyes pleading him not to ask anything yet.
"What is going on Oropher?"
"Nothing...life threatening. Just... Can you do this for me? I'll owe you one."
"... Alright."
He walked passed him towards his little brother, swinging his arm around his neck, already starting a conversation easily and almost dragging the unwilling but still polite Amdir away towards the dance floor where almost everyone, especially younger people like them were heading.
"Good luck."
He looked at Lúthien standing beside him and smiled nervously. She squeezed his arm lightly before joining Galathil and Calemiriel, following after Amdir and Celeborn.
Sighing,he walked towards Maeril,who unsure about following her partner or not,was still standing there.
"Lady... Lady Maeril?"
She jumped as she heard his voice, blushing vigorously.
"Y-Yes?"
"I ...I believe you and I have some unresolved matters we need to discuss. About what you said to my mother."
Her blush deepened if possible.
"What... what about it?"
Oropher wanted to look away from the hopeful face of
the young girl. He didn't want to be the one to vanquish those sparks from her eyes.
But he had to.
"Not here. Perhaps somewhere more private? we can go to one of the balconies where we wouldn't be disturbed."
She nodded without hesitation and accepting the arm he offered to her, they moved through the crowd easily as most people were heading in their opposite direction and seeing him,they would move aside, giving him room to walk.
He nodded his head in thanks,trying to smile but he was not sure how successful he was.
Once out in the balcony,he closed the door behind them.
Turning to her,he took a deep breath and gave it out slowly, watching the fog form in front of him and disappear as quickly as it came.
"So...my mother told me you hold me...in some certain regards."
He didn't stutter as much as he thought he would. Maybe he could do this without making a fool out of himself after all.
She looked down at first,still too shy to face him completely. Oropher could relate to that.
"If by certain regards you mean that I love you my prince,then you are correct."
Her voice did not waver as she confessed, although it was barely audible.
"I... I'm sorry."
he could almost hear the sound of her heart breaking,like his own had once,many years ago.
She looked up at him,eyes tearful.
"What..."
it took her a few seconds to compose herself before looking away.
"What...are you sorry for,my prince?"
"I ...I'm sorry but I can not return your feelings. And...I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."
This made her glance at him again, confused as her tears finally fell. once processing his words,her eyes hardened as she took a step back.
"What do you mean sooner?... How ... How long have you known? No! Don't tell me. I don't want to know..."
She was full on crying now and Oropher cursed himself and his loose tongue. She didn't have to know about this.
"I'm so sorry...I thought I was being plain enough about this but ...but you ...I'm sorry... It's my fault. I should have cleared things up with you sooner..."
He walked towards her until he could easily reach out and hold her hands.
He took in another deep breath. why was it so hard?
"It's not that I don't think you're not a wonderful elleth..."
"Then why? Why can't you love me like I love you?"
He could say I don't know but that would be a lie. He knew exactly why. But he couldn't tell her the truth either.
"Well?"
she said, impatient.
"I...I can't tell you."
Her confusion was slowly giving way to anger and a justified one at that. If Oropher was in her shoes,he would want to know at least why he was being rejected. And this knowledge too, Oropher was unable to give her.
"Why? Is it because I'm immature? Too young? Because I can change. I swear!"
the desperation in her voice hit too close to his heart as the he heard echoes of his own saying words alike to hers.
"No no! I mean yes. You are too young for me. But that is not the main reason. And that... that I can't tell you because it's not my secret to tell."
his voice broke no argument and he could see Maeril realizing it slowly.
She let go of his hand and cupped his cheek,her touch gentle.
"So I don't have any at all?"
He shook his head, shooting down her last attempt.
It was at that moment when the door of the balcony was opened.
"Where have you been my lady? I looked everywhe-"
Amdir looked up at that moment and ceased talking,eyes wide in shock.
His eyes travelled from Maeril to her hand,still holding Oropher's face and then Oropher.
When his eyes fell on him though,they were filled with hurt, disdain, jealousy and....hate.
Oropher shook away Maeril's hand as they both took a few step away from each other.
"Amd-"
But Amdir was gone before he could even open his mouth.