• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Anyone else troubled by the 🧙Blue Wizards?

FarahSlax

New Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2002
Messages
23
I mean, I can't sleep nights because I don't know what happened to them. They passed into the East, and Tolkien said he suspected they founded some evil cults or something. Cmon, I have to know more!!!

What's wrong with them? Why did they just go traipsing off like that?
Sheesh, Istari are supposed to be demigods. How come they're so frigging weak?
 
There's a thread around here somewhere in which I pointed out a theory that Saruman might have killed or destroyed the Blue Wizards before he returned to the west of Middle-Earth.
 
Originally posted by FarahSlax
I mean, I can't sleep nights because I don't know what happened to them.

Holy smokes! I guess I am a very poor fan of LotR... :D
 
Wait a sec...I think I just figured it out. The statues in Afghanistan that
the Taliban blew up a couple years ago. Weren't they two robed figures?
How old were they...about 15,000 years? Hmmm....that's right about 1000 T.A., by my reckoning.
 
Originally posted by FarahSlax
Wait a sec...I think I just figured it out. The statues in Afghanistan that
the Taliban blew up a couple years ago. Weren't they two robed figures?
How old were they...about 15,000 years? Hmmm....that's right about 1000 T.A., by my reckoning.

Interesting reckoning!:p
 
Originally posted by Edhel-dûr
I don´t consider your reply correct as i said you in that thread.

Curumo=Saruman
Olorin=Gandalf
Aiwendil=Radagast
Alatar=Morinehtar
Pallando=Romestamo

What´s the problem?

Greatings.
I don't consider your reply correct either, but at least you concede that they are identified by other names as well as Alatar and Pallnado. :);)

As to your comments concerning CT's comments...
Unfinished Tales and The People's of Middle-earth are both works that were not published during Tolkien's lifetime. CT himself was confused as to which version of the Blue Wizards was his father's final say on the matter. Since J. R. R. T. is dead, CT doesn't know for sure, my post stands that the history of the Blue Wizards is shrouded in mystery. We can't say for sure what their true names were and we don't know for certain whether they fell into darkness in the East or whether they helped the Western cause during the War of the Ring.
 
I'm glad to hear you all are intrigued by the where abouts of the Blue Wizards, as I have been for quite some time. I read somewhere that even when asked about he whereabouts of the Blue Istari, even Tolkien did not have a definative answer. (sorry I don't have the quote for you...it was in an autobiography that I took out of the library a while ago and I no longer have the reference.)

However,I was so interested in the topic that I came up with a theory of my own concerning the whereabouts of the missing Blue Isatari...and have created a rpg based on that theory. It will all be explained in rpg 53, Cries Unheard. I am very excited about this rpg and I hope you all will find the story interesting. And perhaps this story will help you sleep at night Farahslax. Let us all hope!

Oh and to answer your question: "Why are the demigods so weak?"...their weakness was due to the fact that:

"For they must be mighty peers of Sauron, but must forgo might and clothe themselves in flesh so as to treat on equality and win the trust of Elves and Men. But this would imperil them, dimming their wisdom and knowledge, and confusing them with fears, cares, and weariness coming from the flesh."
- Unfinished Tales, The Istari.
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by Gamil Zirak
Weak? They aren't the only ones. Saruman was pretty weak and so was Radaghast. Gandalf was the only one that stayed true to his path. The blue wizards were off trying to keep Sauron from spreading his power and control into the East. What they did after that is their proagative.

Radagast was not weak. He did fail on his path to protecting Middle Earth, but he made connections bewteen the Race of Birds, and other races, and without his help Gandalf would of failed because he was prisoned and Sam and Frodo would not have escaped Mount Doom.
 
Originally posted by falcolite


Radagast was not weak. He did fail on his path to protecting Middle Earth, but he made connections bewteen the Race of Birds, and other races, and without his help Gandalf would of failed because he was prisoned and Sam and Frodo would not have escaped Mount Doom.

No Radagast was not weak.But he did fail in his task for the completion of which he was sent by the Valar.
And was it Radagast who sent the eagles to aid Sam and Frodo or was it Manwë?
 
yeah, he i guess he did fail, but he didn't do as bad as the others. They failed badly, especially Saruman. Radagast did his bit to help Gandalf and the fellowship, even though he accidentally tricked Gandalf to going to Isengard in the first place.
 
This has nothing to do with anything that has already been posted on this thread, but I was wondering if Merlin could have been one of the Blue Wizards. what do you think?

-Flame
 
Pallando and Alatar are not weak.

Istari are supposed to be demigods. How come they're so frigging weak?

Alatar and Pallando were definitely not weak, They were the representative Istari of Orome who was the Huntsman of the Valar and essentially the God of War therefore his Istari were the "Warrior Istari"
It is true of the other Wizards:
Manwe=Saruman: Skill, Intelligence.
Varda=Gandalf: Wisdom, Humility
Yavanna=Radagast: Connection with nature, birds and beasts

Alatar and Palllando may have had more offensive power than Saruman or Gandalf the White!

Morgaphry
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top