• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🪦 Barliman Butterbur

Rest In Peace

Firawyn

The Captain
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
2,374
Anyone still around from the old crowd will remember Barley. While he ended up taking his leave a number of years ago having had his fill of debating, in the early years of TTF, Barliman was one of TTF's most active members, posting like a fiend with absolutely nothing better to do than to poke holes in young Tolkien scholars' theories with obscure book references that would be both frustrating an enlightening. He'd been studying the works of Tolkien longer than many of us had been alive, and in retrospect, I'm thankful to have had his insight into the subtitles of Tolkienology as a fixture of my youth.

I regret to announce that Barliman Butterbur passed away just this March. He was eighty-three years old. I was privileged to get to know him as Leonard, and learn a bit about his life. He lived in Los Angeles, and was a respected artist and photographer, was a food critic columnist, a husband and a father. He survived a heart attack a number of years ago and got more years than anyone expected beyond that. He was a fighter, through and through.

My fondest memories of Barley, personal conversations aside, would probably be the way he'd nitpick my grammar and spelling in my early years here on TTF. It drove me nuts back then, but it made me a better writer in the long run. I couldn't help but respect him for his knowledge, and he made it perfectly clear that his respect would only be gained if I learned how to spell and learned how to properly form a sentence, and I wanted to make him proud, so I'll be damned but I pushed myself and I improved. He made me a better writer. He pushed me to be a better version of myself. He did that in more ways than just my skills grammatically speaking - it was just the kind of man he was - but that's what I remember most about him. I remember the man who was my Guide, if I can use a Joseph Campbell reference here.

Rest in peace, old friend. You are missed.
 

Attachments

  • 37599697_123827598539735_5779894492756705280_n.jpg
    37599697_123827598539735_5779894492756705280_n.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 64
I remember him well! Always loved seeing his posts on here through the years. I don't think he had been on for a few years (2013?).
I knew he was up there in years as he was as old as I am now when I first joined TTF in December 2001.

Rest in Peace sir! I will lift my pint of Bree Proper Ale to you sir, and may your sons and daughters continue to run the finest inn in Bree!
 
Tolkien's Barliman Butterbur and TTF's are permanently a single character to me; I can't think of one without thinking of the other, and they look alike too! With the freedom from fanciful tact and people-pleasing that comes with age (I have since discovered) he gave colour and life to many a conversation on these boards. I would have liked to share a pint of ale or two with him in person, but I live in England's shire counties and he was across both "the pond" and the continent. He has sailed into the West now; so I'll have to wait a while for that pint; á na márië, Leonard.
 
Life is so strange. For no apparent reason he crossed my mind last night, which made me visit the forum today, only to see this post. My god, we argued relentlessly when politics and religion were still a part of TTF, and then again when it was moved to its own separate forum. Back then he was an older man, dead set in his ways, and I was a hot-headed teenager who thought he knew most everything.

We never found much common ground besides our enjoyment of Tolkien, but it's sad to hear this news.

Godspeed, BB.
 
Life is so strange. For no apparent reason he crossed my mind last night, which made me visit the forum today, only to see this post. My god, we argued relentlessly when politics and religion were still a part of TTF, and then again when it was moved to its own separate forum. Back then he was an older man, dead set in his ways, and I was a hot-headed teenager who thought he knew most everything.

We never found much common ground besides our enjoyment of Tolkien, but it's sad to hear this news.

Godspeed, BB.

*snort* Long time no see, Gandalf White. Good to find one of the old faces lurking about. Not many of us from that era still around.

While I vividly remember being another hot headed teenager being batted down by Barley, for my own good, I also distinctly remember watching thread after thread explode when Barley and Mrs. Maggot got into it. Now THAT was entertainment, and a solid learning experience to boot, watching the two of those old timers shooting facts and references back and forth at one another like elves at an archery competition. 😄
 
I also distinctly remember watching thread after thread explode when Barley and Mrs. Maggot got into it. Now THAT was entertainment, and a solid learning experience to boot, watching the two of those old timers shooting facts and references back and forth at one another like elves at an archery competition. 😄
Oh Geez... I remember some of those! Wonder where Mrs Maggot is these days?
Wasn't Barliman known as 'Lotho Pimple' early on?

Edit: Yes, Barliman Butterbar was originally Lotho Pimple.
 
Last edited:
Anyone still around from the old crowd will remember Barley. While he ended up taking his leave a number of years ago having had his fill of debating, in the early years of TTF, Barliman was one of TTF's most active members, posting like a fiend with absolutely nothing better to do than to poke holes in young Tolkien scholars' theories with obscure book references that would be both frustrating an enlightening. He'd been studying the works of Tolkien longer than many of us had been alive, and in retrospect, I'm thankful to have had his insight into the subtitles of Tolkienology as a fixture of my youth.

I regret to announce that Barliman Butterbur passed away just this March. He was eighty-three years old. I was privileged to get to know him as Leonard, and learn a bit about his life. He lived in Los Angeles, and was a respected artist and photographer, was a food critic columnist, a husband and a father. He survived a heart attack a number of years ago and got more years than anyone expected beyond that. He was a fighter, through and through.

My fondest memories of Barley, personal conversations aside, would probably be the way he'd nitpick my grammar and spelling in my early years here on TTF. It drove me nuts back then, but it made me a better writer in the long run. I couldn't help but respect him for his knowledge, and he made it perfectly clear that his respect would only be gained if I learned how to spell and learned how to properly form a sentence, and I wanted to make him proud, so I'll be damned but I pushed myself and I improved. He made me a better writer. He pushed me to be a better version of myself. He did that in more ways than just my skills grammatically speaking - it was just the kind of man he was - but that's what I remember most about him. I remember the man who was my Guide, if I can use a Joseph Campbell reference here.

Rest in peace, old friend. You are missed.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top