• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Beleg's Riddle

Joined
Apr 19, 2002
Messages
4,431
Then Turin sat in silence, and strove with his pride, which would not let him turn back; and he brooded on the years that lay behind him. But coming suddenly out of his thought he said to Beleg: "The Elf-maiden whom you named: I owe her well for her timely witness; yet I cannot recall her. Why did she watch my ways?"
Then Beleg looked strangely at him. "Why indeed?" he said. "Túrin, have you lived always with your heart and half your mind far away? You walked with Nellas in the woods of Doriath; when you were a boy."
"That was long ago," said Turin. "Or so my childhood now seems, and a mist is over it—save only the memory of my father's house in Dor-lómin. But why should I have walked with an Elf-maiden?"
"To learn what she could teach, maybe," said Beleg. "Alas, child of Men! There are other griefs in Middle-earth than yours, and wounds made by no weapons. Indeed, I begin to think that Elves and Men should not meet or meddle."
Turin said nothing, but looked long in Beleg's face, as if he would read in it the riddle of his words. But Nellas of Doriath never saw him again, and his shadow passed from her.
[from UT]

How do you read this riddle in Beleg's words?
 
Perhaps Beleg was aware that Nellas bore some kind of love for Turin? Or perhaps he wanted Turin to realize that he was a handsome young man, who shouldn't be spoiling his whole life rotting away among the outlaws but also give some heed to the other, lighter and pleasurble matters that waited for him in more civilized societies.
 
I think he meant that Turin was not the only one who was suffering, but Nellas also, because she had loved Turin, but Turin had never realised that and returned her love, because he was too preoccupied with his own problems. So that because of the meeting of Elf and Man there was suffering for Nellas as well.
 
Huh. I don't see how there's much of a riddle in that. Or am I just crazy for taking what the guy says at face value?

"Why indeed?" he said. "Túrin, have you lived always with your heart and half your mind far away? You walked with Nellas in the woods of Doriath; when you were a boy." = "You crazy. Too self-centered."

"To learn what she could teach, maybe," said Beleg. "Alas, child of Men! There are other griefs in Middle-earth than yours, and wounds made by no weapons. Indeed, I begin to think that Elves and Men should not meet or meddle." = "Ack! I'll say that you're self-centered again! Also, feel like learning things? Pay attention to what people have to say! If you're such a great example of a human, I'd have to hope that elves and humans don't mess around with each other too much!"
 
*laughs maniacally*

That's actually what I thought also Yay. Of course, I'll do anything to avoid shades of love in stories where it isn't spelled out. And Turin did seem remarkably self-centered at times. Hmmm, reminds me of you.

*Starts laughing again*
 
:( oh well. I like to think that I'm more like Feanor. :rolleyes: Hmph. Turin elfbane (as I like to call him) was just too stupid for me. Anyways, those quotes had anything to do with love? I missed it. Probably because I don't remember the lady they're talking about. oh well.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top