Child of Varda
New Member
- Joined
- Jan 7, 2023
- Messages
- 50
I noticed that there is not much discussion on the character of Bombur around here. I think he is rather an under-appreciated character, especially after what the movies did to him. Too often I find he is just considered to be "fat comic relief". I think that is debatable at best. Is Bombur comic relief? Undoubtedly, along with all twelve other Dwarves. Bombur's weight, however, makes him one of the few Dwarves who are actually distinguishable (along with Dóri's strength, Kili and Fíli's youth, and Bálin's age and experience). First of all, he is not as "food-oriented" as some people think. There is not a single joke that comes to mind about excessive eating on Bombur's part. In An Unexpected Party, he ordered pork pie and salad (unlike Bofur who ordered raspberry jam and apple tart). He definitely talks about food more than many of them, but not as much as Bilbo does, making it actually seem like a positive thing rather than a negative thing—he is, after all, one of the few Dwarves who really seems to disagree with Thorin. Some people blame him for grumbling about having been made to be last twice for being fat (I admit that seemed odd for Gandalf, the emissary of the Valar, to say, but maybe you Tolkien fans can explain that—did Gandalf think Bombur would appear threatening?), but I think his grumbling is understandable. In the boat scene, he does grumble about having to be in the last and lightest load because he is fat—but he still agrees. He is almost drowned in an enchanted river. He wakes up an weeps, but you must remember he lost months of his memory at the time and hadn't eaten in days at least. Further, we see growth later on in the line, "I am too fat for such fly-walks. I should turn dizzy and tread on my beard, and then you would be thirteen again. And the knotted ropes are too slender for my weight."
The best scene, in my opinion, regarding Bombur (unfortunately given to Bofur in the movies) is as follows:
This scene is played perfectly seriously, and I think it shows the value of Bombur as a character.
To quote Thorin: "Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Frankly, I think Bombur, though a more minor character, embodies this theme just as well as Bilbo
The best scene, in my opinion, regarding Bombur (unfortunately given to Bofur in the movies) is as follows:
"It is mighty cold!" said Bombur. "I wish we could have a fire up here as they have in the camp!"
"It is warm enough inside," said Bilbo.
"I daresay; but I am bound here till midnight," grumbled the fat dwarf. "A sorry business altogether. Not that I venture to disagree with Thorin, may his beard grow ever longer; yet he was ever a dwarf with a stiff neck."
"Not as stiff as my legs," said Bilbo. "I am tired of stairs and stone passages. I would give a good deal for the feel of grass at my toes."
"I would give a good deal for the feel of a strong drink in my throat, and for a soft bed after a good supper!"
"I can't give you those, while the siege is going on.
But it is long since I watched, and I will take your turn for you, if you like. There is no sleep in me tonight."
"You are a good fellow, Mr. Baggins, and I will take your offer kindly. If there should be anything to note, rouse me first, mind you! I will lie in the inner chamber to the left, not far away."
"Off you go!" said Bilbo. "I will wake you at midnight, and you can wake the next watchman."
As soon as Bombur had gone, Bilbo put on his ring, fastened his rope, slipped down over the wall, and was gone. He had about five hours before him. Bombur would sleep (he could sleep at any time, and ever since the adventure in the forest he was always trying to recapture the beautiful dreams he had then); and all the others were busy with Thorin. It was unlikely that any, even Fili or Kili, would come out on the wall until it was their turn.
The Hobbit, A Thief in the Night
This scene is played perfectly seriously, and I think it shows the value of Bombur as a character.
To quote Thorin: "Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Frankly, I think Bombur, though a more minor character, embodies this theme just as well as Bilbo
