Deimos
Elite
- Joined
- Sep 6, 2022
- Messages
- 4,930
Awhile back --a long while back ( maybe 15 years ago?) because I totally forgot about it until now -- I decided to make the "prop" that is the letter Thorin wrote to Bilbo, and left for him, when the Dwarves decamped from Bag End.
Thorin wanted to get an early start, but fully expected Bilbo to follow, and catch up with them.
So here was my starting point: The letter as shown in The Hobbit.
Note Tolkien's explanatory memo at the top (which I removed for the prop).
I then reproduced the text on heavy cream colored stock and included a Letterhead so as to make it Bilbo's personal stationary.
If you recall , Bilbo was annoyed that Thorin had the temerity to write his note on Bilbo's stationary.
I also started to make it a bit worn, with the torn corner and smudge. This is how I imagined it when Bilbo first found it the next morning.
Smudged (maybe from Thorin's sooty finger when he filled his pipe) and also perhaps with a beer stain.
The note paper measures 5 x 7 inches (~13 x 18 cm) , pic shows front and back.
This last version is the one I "showcase" in my LOTR collectibles.
I really beat it up creased it with folding, and singed the edges to make it look as I thought it should appear when Bilbo drew it forth to show Bard and prove that he had a personal interest in events between Elves and Dwarves.
He had carried it about when he encountered the Trolls and Goblins, was treed by wolves, carried by Eagles, battled Spiders, rode down a river in barrel, and faced off with a Dragon.
After all that it's a wonder it had not totally disintegrated. Maybe I should beat it up even more....(should I?)
(For some reason I didn't take a pic of the back, but... you get the idea. 🙂)
Thorin wanted to get an early start, but fully expected Bilbo to follow, and catch up with them.
So here was my starting point: The letter as shown in The Hobbit.
Note Tolkien's explanatory memo at the top (which I removed for the prop).
I then reproduced the text on heavy cream colored stock and included a Letterhead so as to make it Bilbo's personal stationary.
If you recall , Bilbo was annoyed that Thorin had the temerity to write his note on Bilbo's stationary.
I also started to make it a bit worn, with the torn corner and smudge. This is how I imagined it when Bilbo first found it the next morning.
Smudged (maybe from Thorin's sooty finger when he filled his pipe) and also perhaps with a beer stain.
The note paper measures 5 x 7 inches (~13 x 18 cm) , pic shows front and back.
This last version is the one I "showcase" in my LOTR collectibles.
I really beat it up creased it with folding, and singed the edges to make it look as I thought it should appear when Bilbo drew it forth to show Bard and prove that he had a personal interest in events between Elves and Dwarves.
He had carried it about when he encountered the Trolls and Goblins, was treed by wolves, carried by Eagles, battled Spiders, rode down a river in barrel, and faced off with a Dragon.
After all that it's a wonder it had not totally disintegrated. Maybe I should beat it up even more....(should I?)
(For some reason I didn't take a pic of the back, but... you get the idea. 🙂)
Last edited:

