Eljorahir
Seeking the strange paths of Elvish dreams
- Joined
- Jul 13, 2022
- Messages
- 2,162
Interesting topic.
When Merry offers his service to Theoden I always thought his statement, "As a father you shall be to me", seemed strange and out of place. Merry just met Theoden, and why should he take him as a father figure?
It's been a long time since I received the Catholic sacrament of confirmation. Now that I think about it, I wonder if this scene between Merry and Theoden was based on the confirmation ceremony. Both include "the laying on of hands" and confirming acceptance of a "father-figure".
'May I lay the sword of Meriadoc of the Shire on your lap, Theoden King?' he cried. 'Receive my service, if you will!'
'Gladly will I take it,' said the king; and laying his long old hands upon the brown hair of the hobbit, he blessed him. 'Rise now, Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan of the household of Meduseld!' he said. 'Take your sword and bear it unto good fortune!'
'As a father you shall be to me,' said Merry.
'For a little while,' said Theoden.
Image from Wikipedia, German wood cutting depicting Confirmation service (1679). With a little imagination, this could be Merry and Theoden:
When Merry offers his service to Theoden I always thought his statement, "As a father you shall be to me", seemed strange and out of place. Merry just met Theoden, and why should he take him as a father figure?
It's been a long time since I received the Catholic sacrament of confirmation. Now that I think about it, I wonder if this scene between Merry and Theoden was based on the confirmation ceremony. Both include "the laying on of hands" and confirming acceptance of a "father-figure".
'May I lay the sword of Meriadoc of the Shire on your lap, Theoden King?' he cried. 'Receive my service, if you will!'
'Gladly will I take it,' said the king; and laying his long old hands upon the brown hair of the hobbit, he blessed him. 'Rise now, Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan of the household of Meduseld!' he said. 'Take your sword and bear it unto good fortune!'
'As a father you shall be to me,' said Merry.
'For a little while,' said Theoden.
Image from Wikipedia, German wood cutting depicting Confirmation service (1679). With a little imagination, this could be Merry and Theoden:
