• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Commentary relating to; 'Ainulindalë' discussion thread

Excellent.
The Chapters as of now are:
Valaquenta: Confusticated
1. Of the Beginning of Days: Elfarmari
2. Of Aulë and Yavanna: ithrynluin
3. Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor:Turgon
4. Of Thingol and Melian: Elu Thingol
5. Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië: gate7hole
6. Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor: Lhunithiliel
7. Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor: Not assigned
8. Of the Darkening of Valinor: Not assigned
9. Of the Flight of the Noldor: Not assigned
10. Of the Sindar: Not assigned
11. Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor: Not assigned
12. Of Men: Not assigned
13. Of the Return of the Noldor: Not assigned
14. Of Beleriand and Its Realms: Not assigned
15. Of the Noldor in Beleriand: Not assigned
16. Of Maeglin: Not assigned
17. Of the Coming of Men into the West: Not assigned
18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin: Not assigned
19. Of Beren and Lúthien: Celebrien
20. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad: Not assigned
21. Of Túrin Turambar: Not assigned
22. Of the Ruin of Doriath: Aiwendil2
23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin: Maedhros
24. Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath: Not assigned
AKALLABÊTH: Not assigned
OF THE RINGS OF POWER AND THE THIRD AGE: Not assigned

Usually chapter discussion last between 2 through 3 weeks to give anyone the opportunity to participate.
Turgon and Lhunithiliel if you will tell me of the two who wants the chapter 3 or if anyone of you is willing to do any other chapter. The person making the intro to the chapter is required to look into the HOME volumes and Unfinished Tales to look for aditional material regarding the chapter, and posting the material one week before the discussion of the chapter begins.
I know that there are less glamorous chapters than others, so the person who chooses to do chapter 14, will have a lock on whatever other chapter he/she likes.

A special Thanks to Ancalagon for his support and his future moderation in these threads.
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I know that there are less glamorous chapters than others, so the person who chooses to do chapter 14, will have a lock on whatever other chapter he/she likes.

Hehe, I am actually very fond of chapter 14, because I enjoy the geography of ME a lot. Maybe I'll sign up for that one later.
 
The Valaquenta discussion begins next saturday 2 of november. Confusticated will make the intro of the chapter and the discussion will begin.
If you have any question regarding the dates of the discussions, please post them in the commentary thread and not in the Discussion thread.
 
Put me to the next unassigned chapter. I think it is "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië", but if not, I don't mind.
 
Chapter 3 -question = settled. Turgon has got it and I got of "Feanor...".
Concerning Feanor, Maedhros, don't you think that the chapter "Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor", coming right after the one I had picked up, is so closely related to the previous one that they should be discussed together?

I would however like to ASK everybody to leave chapter 21 to me!
PLEASE!

Thank you in advance!
Lhun
 
Last edited:
May I reserve Chapter 22 even if there's a possibility that when the time to do it draws nigh I'll be busy and have to let somebody else have it? If so, consider it reserved. Unless someone else has a pressing desire to do that intro.
 
Aiwendil2, Lhunithiliel, gate7ole and Celebrien, the chapters have been reserved.
Certainly Lhunithiliel, does chapters are very closely related and they will probably in the discussion bring forth things from the other chapter, nevertheless, I would want more volunteers so that we can widen the discussion and the scope of it.
 
Last edited:
Pictures and Maps

I was talking to Ancalagon (he's full of great ideas), and he came up with the idea that pictures and maps of Valinor and ME would help a lot in the discussion of the Silmarillion, and I couldn't agree more. I would try to come up with pictures concerning the Ainulindalë, and I would like for each person who is going to make the intro, to use pictures or maps to broaden and clarify the discussion.
 
organization

Maedhros, Confusticated, was it necessary the Valacuenta discussion to be a separate thread?
I admit it is a complicated case to be settled - there are enough pro-s and con-s about it being out of the general thread, yet...
Maybe if Maedhros asks Ancalagon to make it "Sticky"?...
On the other hand, there are too many "Sticky-s" allready....
I don't mind it too much, but thinking of how many chapters ahead we have to discuss .... Does it mean that we should open a new thread for EACH chapter discussed?
--------------
I'm editting my post, as I see the Valacuenta Disc. has been already made "Sticky".
Yet, how about the chapters to come?
 
Last edited:
Re: organization

I am under the impression that the chapter discussion are not being closed therefore they are open for people to add things at anytime they like.
So if Valaquenta where added to the Ainulindale thread disorganization could result if people respond to posts in the Ainulindale.
I think it would be a good idea that chapters be made unsticky after the following chapter is finished. It is not up to me to decide this though.
 
When does the first chapter, "Of The Beginning Of Days" begin, or is there no set date?
 
Re: Commentary about the Silmarillion Discussion

Posted by Lhunithiliel in the Valaquenta discussion
Nice contemplations Nym
Care to elaborate?

Now I know that the smilies, (especially the wink) may be misinterpreted. So might the eyeroll, which is by the way, entitled "sarcastic". Which is why I ask for clarification before slamming this comment you made.
 
Re: Re: Commentary about the Silmarillion Discussion


Nóm, I am quite certain Lhun was not being sarcastic in her response, as having read through the posts in question I believe she valued your post just as anyone else would. The use of smilies in this case I do not think were designed to ridicule you, simply to highlight your post. Possibly the wrong selection, but with the thought in the right place.

Rather than cast dispersions, you may wish to seek to PM the person in question for clarity.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…