• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Destruction of the ring symbolism

herlig9

Active Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2021
Messages
804
I heard some argue. The only reason why the Ring can be destroyed in Mount Doom. Is because thats where it was made it has to be destroyed there.
In the same way, that to destroy a war (in real life), then one needs to destroy the cause and origin of it.

Some told me that is what their interpretation was of it. But whats your view on it?
 
Last edited:
I would say that I agree because in order to take out a weed you need to pull the roots, or else it’s just going to grow back. I think this is part of why it could only be destroyed by where it was made, but I’m sure there are other symbolisms as well. I’m interested to hear what other people think about this because quite honestly I never really thought too hard about it.
 
I heard a theory somewhere that the Ring destroyed itself. It was the Ring that corrupted Gollum in the first place, and if Gollum hadn't been corrupted by the Ring, he wouldn't have tried to take it from Frodo at the Cracks of Doom. Thus Gollum would not have fallen into the Cracks of Doom with the Ring, and the Ring would not have been destroyed. So you could say that by corrupting Gollum the Ring wrought it's own doom. So maybe the Ring's destruction symbolises Evil working against itself? That's certainly a theme in the rest of LotR, what with the darkness from Mordor keeping the orcs from noticing the riders of Rohan as they approach Gondor, the orcs killing each other off and so enabling Sam to rescue Frodo, and Shealob impaling herself on Sam's sword when she tries to squish him.
 
In Middle Earth (and also, I believe, in our world) evil cannot sustain itself.
That is, because it always originates "in error" it sooner or later brings about its own destruction**, sometimes with respect to a specific situation and/or person(s), sometimes more "wholesale."

** A river cannot rise higher than its source.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top