• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Destruction of the Witch-King

A prophecy indeed. Now, look at all prophecies, they hint at their meaning but more often than not elude the entirety of it. Think of the words "not by the hand man well he fall" There are some possibilities to this that have been discussed already:

¤ No man of Men will bring the fall of WK
¤ No man of any Race will bring the fall of WK

With all that prefacing out of the way, I can freely state that all of the WK's power stems from the Ring that he wears, not he himself. So, as an almost most far stretched conclusion, Merry's blade bit through the armorment of the Mortal Ring to the man benieth who had fadded, causing the stretching of life to falter of him, allowing the Shield Maiden to commit the final blow.

Just my thoughts.
-Isthir​
 
You'd be right... except the author himself doesn't agree with you. The clear intent of this footnote is to let us know that:
1) Eowyn (a woman and not a man) killed the Witch-king and
2) she was aided by Merry (a hobbit and not a man) and
3) thus was Glorfindel's "prophsy" fulfilled.
 
Very good you found the answer!!! But I still like my version much better! Once I get something in my head like that I can't change it lol.
 
Last edited:
Ok I got a question. What about the other 8 Nazgul? Did the same rules apply to them or was it just for the WK the whole dagger and woman thing. Do the other 8 what kind of rules do they have can they just not be killed period like the my version stated below.


 
I think you've kind of missed the point. The Witch-king COULD have been killed by Man. Glorfindel prophesied (through Elvish foresight) that his doom was not to be at the hands of Man. All nine of the Nazgul were bound to Earth by their enslavement to the Ring but I am sure could be bested in battle much as the Witch-king was if they were faced with the right foe and the right weapon. (I haven't really researched this and my statements are my opinions only!)
 
Oh ok so basically they were just like anyone else it is just that only an idiot would face them? Ok I am still reading the other works by JRR so I will sort it out soon enough lol.
 
What do you people make of this quote then?


Letter No 210.
 
Makes sense.
The Nazgûl just inspired fear in the heart of man and didnt really have a match, because everyone would run or cower in fear and then die. Added with darkness, men had no hope to defeat him and were to afraid to try...interesting.
But then why didnt Aragorn kill one on Amon Sûl then? He was brave enough to fight them and he was doing a good job, but then he stopped. Maybe the darkness got to him..?
 
Anárion said:
But then why didnt Aragorn kill one on Amon Sûl then? He was brave enough to fight them and he was doing a good job, but then he stopped. Maybe the darkness got to him..?

In the books Aragorn goes after the Nazgul with two flaming pieces of wood, not a sword or anything. Also, the Ringwraiths withdraw right after Frodo is stabbed because they believe they have completed their mission and that the Morgul blade will soon reach Frodo's heart. They don't really bother to put up any sort of fight.
 
That's because in the wilderness 'fire is their friend' and it may have been more effective that his broken sword at warding off the Ringwraiths.

Of course, if any of the Hobbits had stabbed a Ringwraith with a barrow-blade then they would have been destroyed, but that was because of the nature of their swords.
 
Grond said:
I think you've kind of missed the point. The Witch-king COULD have been killed by Man.
Yes of course he could have been; but as I see it the Witch-King could not have been killed without the aid of something to break whatever 'spell' still held the W-K in the Seen, and this aid was delivered by Merry.
I believe that not a single one of the Úlairi could have been killed by any regular Man, because they existed for the most part in the Unseen (as proved by Frodo's vision of them when he wears the Ring). The darkness/light issue does not discuss whether the darkness or light made them more vulnerable or not, but that the darkness or light affected their strength and powers (fear, Black Breath, physical strength).
An Elf, I believe, could have killed one of the Nazgûl, as an Elf could possibly (not probably) have killed a Valarauko, and for the same reason: both Balrogs and the Úlairi interexist in both the Seen and Unseen, and the apparent power of Elves to travel between these realms is the only real weapon against either of these enemies. And that is why the Nazgûl, if this theory holds true, were so afraid of Glorfindel as he chased them to the Ford of Bruinen.
There are probably several flaws in this reasoning, but I would like to hear them.
 
I agree with you. It is just that the thought of what would have happened to Narsil croped up as I was reading your post.
 
Gothmog said:
I agree with you. It is just that the thought of what would have happened to Narsil croped up as I was reading your post.

Yeah, they might as well have flushed the remaining pieces down the toilet, along with a copy of the prophecy...
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…